How do I pick a different group to activate each round

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Pick Up Items Sound effects for your game, Take them for a ride right now and you will worry no more.
  • Ok this is something probably super simple but for whatever reason i can't wrap my head around what's going on

I'm trying to pick a different group to activate each time the game loop starts over again. It works once, then starts going super duper fast ignoring the "wait" command in each group.

Is there a better way that i can setup a system that will pick a different group to enable , then when that group code is complete it disables itself, and next tick it will pick a different one?

plz see attached capx and screen shot

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/403350/groupBug.capx

• Hi justifun,

The "wait" thing is a pain, if you're not careful

Your code now works like this:

Tick 1:

choose randomly (e.g. group 1)

activate g1

start waiting - but only for the code in group 1

Tick 2: (group 1 already active)

choose randomly (e.g. group 2)

start waiting - but only for group 2 code

Tick 3: (groups 1 and 2 already active0

choose randomly .... etc

Can you see the pattern? wait does not stop the initial [section 1] code to be re-executed every tick!

What you can do is e.g. add a global var "isAnyGroupActive = 0"

Set it to 1 before "wait"

set it to 0 after "wait"

In section 1 add:

execute only if "isAnyGroupActive = 0"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I still dont quite understand how this is working.

Here's a version of what i posted that DOES work as desired.

If i modify disable either of the "Set IsAnyGroupActive to 0" then it all breaks

In my head here's how i think its working.

The game starts off picking a random wave value (1 2 or 3)

eg: 1

Event 4 checks if wave = 1 AND if isAnyGroupActive is 0 and starts processing those actions

We now set isAnyGroupActive to 1 so that it wont process wave 1 the time it loops through the event sheet again (and theoretically stay processing whatever is going on in wave 1

but then we have it setting isAnyGroupActive immediately to zero again

so im confused.

they way i thought it should be setup was that you would only need to change isAnyGroupActive to 1 once. Then the logic would stay processing in wave 1 until you changed it back to zero at a later point (perhaps after a keypress or something)

But how / why does making it a value of 1 then 0 immediately make this work?

thx CJK

• Hi justifun,

But how / why does making it a value of 1 then 0 immediately make this work?

It certainly does not- impossible, because the change 1 to 0 is done in the same tick. Must be something else, but I admit I do not understand this bit of code fully.

Some ideas (or more my questions to your screenshot): why wave1 code differs from code for waves2 and 3? Why do you call "Next" once from a sub-event, and in waves2 and 3 from the same event as "wait"? This will result in a different behaviour, when you add "wait" to wave1 - "wait" will apply only to current sub-event.

• CJK - the overall idea was that i wanted to have different "waves" in the game, imagine space invaders.

there would be an overall function or something else that would enable/disable which wave was active, so that i could either have a predetermined order of the incoming waves, or the option to do something like "activate wave (random 1,3)"

so if there's a better way of doing it i'm all ears.

Wave 2 and 3 are the same simply because i didnt fill out any more details of which monsters would be spawned in there etc. for the purpose of my question.

But imagine this.....

Wave 1 - Monsters spawn, wait a few seconds, then start playing some music, then when a few of them are killed a different type of monsters are spawned etc. and then perhaps after 100 are killed total WAVE 1 is disabled and WAVE 2 is enabled and executing a new series of spawns/music/etc etc

Is there a simpler way to approach a wave after wave system like this?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)