How to optimize with too many WebGL effects

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Best soundtracks for any game. High quality and engaging assets.
  • I made a game that uses a lot of webgl effects and there is just no way around it. I have to use them. But the framerate is just awful. However, it is much better when I test over wifi. But I use Cocoon to export my game and when installed it's not even playable. I even dropped the size of my layouts to 20, 38 which is pretty small. So I need to know if there is a way I can optimize my game given the fact that I can not stop using webgl effects and also how can I improve the quality of the exported game.

This is the kind of WebGL effect I use:

• Most effects are slow on mobile, but are you sure that they are the main reason of poor performance? Are you getting reasonably good FPS if you disable all effects?

One way of optimizing effects is to apply them to layers instead of objects. One effect applied to the entire layer will work faster than the same effect applied to several separate sprites.

You can probably replace these effects with blend modes (like "destination out"), they may work faster.

Also try not to use "Force own textures" setting on layers, as it also causes slowness. Unfortunately, some effects/blend modes require it.

There have been lots of discussions about this topic, try googling (since Search function on this new forum doesn't work yet).

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Most effects are slow on mobile, but are you sure that they are the main reason of poor performance? Are you getting reasonably good FPS if you disable all effects?

Well tbh; I believe the main reason is construct's poor export options. Because when I preview over wifi it works pretty good.

Do you think the new exporter of construct 3 will do a better job?

Thanks for the tips though!

• This is odd, maybe WebGL gets disabled in Cocoon?..

Have you tried packaging with PhoneGap?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)