How to Optimize a Game To Satisfy Chrome Audit?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hello All, & thank you for looking.

On my personal pc (gaming rig) my game runs great but, on my gf's laptop, not so much. So, I audited my game in Chrome and it came up with a bunch of stuff I could do to optimize my game and make it faster - the problem is I don't know how to implement any of Chromes suggestions.

For instance:

The following resources are missing a cache expiration. Resources that do not specify an expiration may not be cached by browsers:

I've read a bunch of articles on what this means and how to fix it. Mainly, the jist is to add a header to something (IDK what) and/or add a .htaccess file to my directory. I did that with no luck.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or an example of how to do this with Construct2/html5 in mind?

Thank you for your time.

• It sounds like you're looking at a website optimiser. That's not really applicable to a game. For example we use the HTML5 AppCache to save everything to disk so caching should not be a problem at all. I'd just read through performance tips and apply those.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you for your response Ashley,

I don't know what else to do. My game is only 335k and runs like crap on my kindle and my gf's laptop(dual core, 4gb Ram, Vista). I don't see a reason why this should be.

Firefox runs my game a little quicker than Chrome does on the laptop but it still hangs and runs at half speed. I've applied all of the tips from the performance blog/post without any perceivable difference. I'm about to pull all of my hair out a set fire to my living room.

• Hmm, do you have WebGL enabled in your game? If so, are the browsers you're testing through WebGL enabled?

You can check here:

http://doesmybrowsersupportwebgl.com/

• gamecherry - have you tried updating the graphics drivers on the laptop?

• Thank you for the concern Ashley, I very much appreciate it. It's the little things that elude me sometimes. After searching for quite awhile I came across this link on google: scirra.com/blog/73/introducing-the-graphics-driver-updater-utility (Ashley, you seem to be everywhere)

Upgrading the graphics card had not occurred to me at the time because the laptop is more than powerful enough to run a simple web game - or so I thought. After running the Catalyst update(ATI 1025X or something like that) the game did run quicker but, still not full speed. I then stopped a bunch of services from running in hopes of squeezing out some extra power and made sure my browsers were up to date and even went to some other websites to play their html5 games for a comparison - the laptop just isn't robust enough for html5 gaming.

I tested my game on my pc, my sons gaming pc, the pcs at school and all worked without issue. Clearly, the problem is not Construct. However, it does raise the issue of "how fast does a pc need to be in order to run html5 games at full speed?" It seems that processor speed and RAM amount/speed are not the only mitigating factors, that a "decent" 3d graphics card is also needed, even if the html5 game is simple & 2d.

Has anyone performed any benchmarks, not on Construct2 but, on html5 gaming in general? Is there a minimum system requirement?

Thank you again for your time.

• Thank you for your response Ashley,

I don't know what else to do. My game is only 335k and runs like crap on my kindle and my gf's laptop(dual core, 4gb Ram, Vista). I don't see a reason why this should be.

Firefox runs my game a little quicker than Chrome does on the laptop but it still hangs and runs at half speed. I've applied all of the tips from the performance blog/post without any perceivable difference. I'm about to pull all of my hair out a set fire to my living room.

Is this Kindle or Kindle Fire? I have a Fire and everything seems to run slow on it.

Oh, and doesn't Vista have problems with drivers?

• I'd also point Vista out in that case.

In the bugs section, some of the weirdest bugs reported were under this OS.

The problem after is I don't know how well win7 would perform on your GF's laptop but OS-wise, that's the OS I'd recommand to comfortably play HTML5 games.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)