How do I open sprite editor from inside a game?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
94 Inside buildings views - Isometric view - PNG transparent - 2048x2048
  • Strange question I know but is it possible to call up the C2 sprite editor from inside a game to allow users to change a sprite?

I am creating a Pinball sandbox that will allow users to change existing objects size, color and placement but it would be nice if it would allow the user to create or modify a sprite using the existing C2 editor.

UPDATE:

Here is a Demo of my editor:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-physics-sandbox-demo-13984?action=updated

Just getting the controls working now and will add assets later.

Still need to figure out how to upload a sprite created by a user into the game but I think I got that figured out and it will need a blob and PAK file. Any help there appreciated.

• It's not possible, you'll need to make your own editor.

• It's not possible, you'll need to make your own editor.

I figured as much but worth asking.

I have designed my own editor now but sure would be nice if that was possible.

• Oh and never say anything is impossible with C2 as I see the impossible being done everyday lol!

• Well, let's say it's not feasible. The image editor isn't usable by anything but C2's executable. If you wanted to use it first you'd have to use nw.js because browsers have security to keep webpages from running exe files at will. Next you'd need to reverse engineer the c2 executable to find out where the editor is, how it's called, and the data it uses. Then using that info you'd made a nw.js in c++ or something that setups an eviroment that the image editor expects and somehow launches it and cleans up afterwards. I'd consider that pretty hacky and a lot of work for little gain.

Making your own editor in C2 would be quicker. Even making an image editor in JavaScript and making a plugin for it would be simpler.

• Well, let's say it's not feasible.

Yup too much work. Has anyone designed an in game sprite editor you are aware of?

That would be a nice routine for people building sandbox games and worth a few bucks I think!

• Off hand I can't think of any. You may be able to do it with sprites and the snapshot action for some aspects of it. Plugin ideas include the canvas or paster plugins that allow you to draw to a texture. Those could help get you started.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I know for 3D modeling of Game characters, texturing, animation you can see live "rendered" updates like that. Although I am unaware of anything that does it with 2D.

• UPDATE:

Here is a Demo of my editor:

https://www.scirra.com/arcade/tutorial-games/pinball-physics-sandbox-demo-13984?action=updated

Just getting the controls working now and will add assets later.

Still need to figure out how to upload a sprite created by a user into the game but I think I got that figured out and it will need a blob and PAK file. Any help there appreciated.

• I know for 3D modeling of Game characters, texturing, animation you can see live "rendered" updates like that. Although I am unaware of anything that does it with 2D.

Since this is 2D I only need a front perspective with the proper tilt angle to match the table angle so I am using Sketchup and designing the assets and I can render them using that.

I will do a video showing how to design your own assets to go with the Pinball Sandbox game when I am finished. Then people can design whatever they want and add it to the game. Have to figure out how to set collisions for new assets.

Here is a Demo of my editor so far:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)