How Does Occlusion Culling Work In C3?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • I've seen a few posts mention this but never an explanation and the manual lacks an entry on the topic. I was thinking about wanting to something like this youtube.com/clip/Ugkxvm8kVO4zJ-iP35ym8d-Vm1p9L649I471 in C3. Can containers be used for this? The main issue would be of course not destroying the entire scene in the container when something is destroyed unless I've missed something there. How would this be considering performance? Essentially, a few 4k levels of small REUSED graphical pieces (for saving memory) would be slapped together in a container and then activated or deactivated when the player reaches the end of the level. This would help me with really seeing how the levels connect.

Any thoughts or ideas on this and how occlusion culling works in C3 in general?

• i do it in strawberrypunch.com and you can do it too by any way you want!!! Build a data structure that holds object position in some kind of grid of a predetermined size and when something moves it can change grids and u keep that updated as the game runs and when something moves to a space that's within render distance u spawn it and when it moves out you despawn it, that way u only need to query your data structure and get the relevent object uids or whatever instead of getting every object on every frame and checking if they,re on screen or not. anothey simpler way would be to check a certain amount of objects every frame but not all of them so every couple second u checked everything, this way isn'T as good as the previous one but it,s far easyer to implement ! godspeed and support queer rights !!!

• That's pretty cool and a bit over my head lol 😆 thank you for responding by the way! I tried your game, it's pretty solid and I was impressed by how it handled and in browser on my phone at that! Regarding my question I was hoping that Ashley may be able to help with understanding how C3 does this automatically- what it's process is like. I saw him say this once on a different post but it was too old to reply to.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • just gonna add there a little bit at the end *pushes u and nudges u with shoulder to get in front of the posting stick* anything u spawn like sprites or whatever with behaviors, they will tick every frame and increase CPU usage, but add things like arrays and dictionaries, u can have a million of them and FPS stays at 60, u dont even need to use their function they were made for, u can just give them variables and control them and move them around that way in any way u want like ur the puppetmaster behind the curtain and making the coolest shit ever and then when it "enters the screen" u can spawn a sprite and move it there like u can have so many little guys running around in those like u wouldn'T believe and they're all running around and doing their own thing !!!

Subscribe to Construct videos now

the world is ur oyster

*Dab-instant transmissions in a pop sound away from the posting stick*

• AFAICT occlusion culling is generally only applicable to complex 3D games. Being a primarily 2D engine I don't think it is really applicable to Construct. It just means stuff outside the viewport is not rendered. Unless you have an incredibly intensive game with tens of thousands of objects, it's probably not anything you have to think about at all.

• Ha ha great crowd show. By the way I have old example about making big images appear & dissapear between inframe & outfame or you can call it just in time sprite/image summoning: dropbox.com/s/m0jwoid9604jr9q/proto_platfo.capx

You won't notice anything till you open debugger ;)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)