How do I get the Nth item of a XML file?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Cartoon Funny Item Interface Sound Pack comes with 426 high-quality sound effects
  • Hi there construct community,

I do have the next XML file; I have used Ajax to load the XML file; then load XML info using AJAX.LastData.

I want to get the info of the XML items "Level" by number order, but the items don't have a tag to pick them up by number, instead they have string names, how can I achieve that?

I tried this to pick the first level (Item[1]) but with no success "XML.StringValue("/FreePack/LevelCollection/Level[1]/text()")"

Any help would be appreciated!!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>

<FreePack>

<LevelCollection MaxWidth="11" MaxHeight="12">

<Level Id="Con" Width="9" Height="2">

<L> # #</L>

<L> #####</L>

</Level>

<Level Id="Roo" Width="11" Height="2">

<L># #</L>

<L>###########</L>

</Level>

<Level Id="Jor" Width="9" Height="2">

<L> ## #</L>

<L> ####</L>

</Level>

</LevelCollection>

</FreePack>

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I'm no expert, but I've been messing around with XPath and maybe I can help.

First of all, text() will just grab contents of a node.

Therefore "/FreePack/LevelCollection/Level[1]/text()" will try and grab the text contents of the first <Level> node, but there is nothing there to be grabbed!

(For the following examples, I'll assume that when you said Item, you were referring to <L> nodes.)

If instead you use "/FreePack/LevelCollection/Level[1]/*/text()" or "/FreePack/LevelCollection/Level[1]/L/text()", you'll grab a sequence of all the contents from each <L> inside the first <Level> node.

"/FreePack/LevelCollection/Level[1]/L[1]/text()", on the other hand, will get you the contents of a single chosen <L>

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)