Newline not working?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi, I would like to count the number of lines in a textbox.

I thought "tokencount(Mytext.text, newline)" would do the trick, but apparently not.

Does anyone have an idea how to count the number of lines in a textbox?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

• Works for me.

Can you post a screenshot or capx?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey Asmodean, thanks for the reply and for checking! I really appreciate it!

I am wondering if this is a beta problem? (Using Beta 265) Or am I doing something wrong here? Capx included:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oWzceQBNv7kUY_C292ZtkLuKSbQaRx-j/view?usp=sharing

• It doesn't work because that are word wraps (soft breaks), not newlines (hardbreaks). Word wraps are not in a string that is a formatting feature of the software

which shows the string.

There is a workaround. Try

floor(Text.TextHeight/(Text.FaceSize+round(Text.FaceSize/3)))

TextHeight: the real height of the text in the textbox (in pixel).

FaceSize: Font size (in pixel).

Problem is, you have free space between the text lines, my guess was 1/3 of the font size. but this could vary (size , font itself). No clue if this always correct.

• It doesn't work because that are word wraps (soft breaks), not newlines (hardbreaks). Word wraps are not in a string that is a formatting feature of the software

which shows the string.

There is a workaround. Try

floor(Text.TextHeight/(Text.FaceSize+round(Text.FaceSize/3)))

TextHeight: the real height of the text in the textbox (in pixel).

FaceSize: Font size (in pixel).

Problem is, you have free space between the text lines, my guess was 1/3 of the font size. but this could vary (size , font itself). No clue if this always correct.

Asmodean You sir! Are a life-saver! This is perfect for the few lines I will be using!

Thank you so much for this help :) I am not a coder really, and just muddling through. So there is no way at this stage of my ability, would I had figured that out by myself! Very kind of you to take the time :) I owe you one my friend!

• Actually, this is perfect. A little tweaking of the line height and I got it working great for an entire page of text if needed. All depends of the font size / line height. You have no idea how helpful this is! My hero! :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)