Multiplayer Dedicated Server?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Very simple code without excess options (15 events for server and 11 events for client)
  • Hey guys,

I wanted to test out multiplayer functions on a dedicated server, does anybody know which website is the most compatible with Construct 2?

Thanks!!

• There are none. You have to custom build the server to match with your client via whatever API you choose.

And besides, the official Multiplayer plugin will not work with a dedicated server, since it is designed as a peer-to-peer platform.

• Ok so,

Correct me if I am wrong on this, but, setting up a dedicated server is possible with the layout on multiplayer if you have purchased the multiplayer coding. Yes it is peer to peer and that is the reason why Scirra or C2 offers to let everyone use their servers is because of the low server usage being that it is peer to peer. It is explained how to use multiplayer on a dedicated sever and the various usages on it. As far as what website that is going to be limited to your knowledge on how to set up the multiplayer on the server itself. If you are just starting up on coding and putting games out that will all be using multiplayer then until you have the knowledge or that many games or programs that rely on multiplayer its best to use the default multiplayer connection that scirra has been generous enough to let us all use. (meaning that they are letting us all use their servers to host our games and or apps on. Peer to peer uses basically no resources mainly because the information is going from one client to another and then transferred back with no usage on the server except to transfer that information. Higher games say for example a high 3d game will use a lot more resources and will use more bandwidth on the server. For simple 2d games or chat apps there is very little load or resources being used because it is transferred person to person.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Think about it this way.

Personal licence of Construct 2 comes with multiplayer features. Computers are initially connected to each other via Scirras signal server. Once computers are connected the signal server is not used for anything else.

2 computers are connected to each other via the signal server = peer to peer (although technically one computer will actually be the host/server and the other will be the peer).

2 computers are connected via the signal server to a 3rd computer = set up as a server. What makes this host/server special? Nothing. A server can simply be any computer that is used to launch the game first and that the other players join. A dedicated server on the other hand is just a computer that is dedicated to hosting your game at all times (literally a computer that is always on and running your game through a web page).

Bandwidth is based on how much is happening. Its not to do with the graphics it is about the multiplayer messages and syncing. Are you constantly sending messages to update movement? = More bandwidth.

• Hey GenkiGenga, your Card Game Template Demo looks amazing by the way! So I guess that would be "Peer to Peer" / LAN setup? Would dedicated servers be like playing WoW, where the map is always running 24/7 and larger amount of players join in?

Anyways, as for the server provider, I read somewhere that Photon Cloud is good for C2?

• Hey GenkiGenga, your Card Game Template Demo looks amazing by the way! So I guess that would be "Peer to Peer" / LAN setup? Would dedicated servers be like playing WoW, where the map is always running 24/7 and larger amount of players join in?

Anyways, as for the server provider, I read somewhere that Photon Cloud is good for C2?

You are exactly correct in your understanding. Peer-to-peer is session based, while dedicated servers are generally live all of the time.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)