Making a shader effect apply to multiple layers

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your own platformer for both the web and mobile easy with this Santas Platformer Template, FULLY DOCUMENTED
  • C2's library of shader effects is excellent, however it presents one major limitation - We cannot make an effect apply across multiple layers.

Let's assume we are making a game with a few parallaxed background layers and a few layers for the foreground - perhaps a lighting layer, layer for objects in front of player, etc.

This very common layout has a few very big problems when webGL effects come into the picture.

Let's consider the problem with layer-wide effects. Perhaps we want to adjust the HSL of the foreground and the background to simulate a night atmosphere. As Construct 2 is at the moment, we have to apply redundant effects to every single layer of the game in order to achieve this. This may not seem like such a problem, however it has huge performance ramifications that only really show their faces at high resolutions. I've done testing in a game with about 8-10 layers and having 10 layer effects is crippling in fullscreen, where the same game with a couple of layout effects runs very smoothly at the same resolution.

A nice way to fix this problem would be to let us have 'multi-layer' effects. Layout effects as-is are pretty much useless for any game with a UI as-is anyway, so that's not really a valid option.

Now, I would be very happy to find that there is a way to write my own shader that does this however I feel like this specific problem is hardcoded into the editor.

Thanks for listening! Let me know if you think this is an important subtle change.

• I never messed up with layers myself but I can say that it's a viable option for people who like effects

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • 'Bump' This thread disappeared a little too quickly. My fault for posting in How Do I.

• Ashley posted something about this here

• Oh... that's not good news.

Ashley , is there anything at all we can do about this? My game pretty much hinges on this being added. How complex is this architecture change?

• Hey ,if the bummer is performance , then you might want to consider pre-rendering the layers that doesn't change ...

• Whiteclaws, different levels should have different effects, and I can't prerender a whole bunch of levels.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)