What makes the data of my app so large?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
DATA+ (Addon Pack)
$11.25 USD
50% off
Data+ is the best Data Management solution for Construct 3. It contains 4 Addons (Plugin & Behavior).
  • See where it says local storage?

Other apps can save there, locally.

Sorry, I didn't understand much...

Guys, I need to solve this somehow, my app is on the store and it's 90mb big already, +25mb data (115mb total)

I've also noticed that when moved to sd card, the total size jumps to 156mb, but when I move it back to storage it becomes 115mb again. I've noticed this on other apps too, but not at this degree. It adds +40MB when on sd card....

I am saving my data this way: I save an item in a dictionary -> I call a function and in the function I save the the dictionary as an item in LocalStorage (I clear the local storage before saving the dictionary, and that lowers the data size of the app, oddly but true)

Am I doing something wrong?

• I don't think local storage is placed alongside the app.

It would be in a system folder along with other apps.

Are you using Crosswalk?

• Yes, I'm using Crosswalk, but even without it, the data size is still too big (15mb)....

• RobertMKD Hey Robert, I mentioned I would take a look at this. Not sure about storage and filesize. I never knew localstorage took so much memory. Wish I could help, but hope you find the answer you are looking for! Best of luck!

• I am saving only 39 items of which 32 are global variables while 7 are arrays as json:

1st Array is 14 wide and 3 high

2nd and 3rd Array are only 14 wide

4th and 5th Array are 111 wide

6th Array is 111 wide and 2 high

and the 7th is 2 wide and 6 high

So, is it normal for this data to take 40mb of space on a device?

depends on what you are exporting to, however mb space is only referring to image download size! so if u have high quality images you might want to drop them down, also screen/layout resolution must be under 1080 if u want lower mb weight!

• I'm guessing this has nothing to do with what you are saving.

This app data is probably some temp files, maybe downloaded from the Internet or created by some plugins. Are you using any 3rd party plugins, showing ads etc.?

• > I am saving only 39 items of which 32 are global variables while 7 are arrays as json:

>

> 1st Array is 14 wide and 3 high

> 2nd and 3rd Array are only 14 wide

> 4th and 5th Array are 111 wide

> 6th Array is 111 wide and 2 high

> and the 7th is 2 wide and 6 high

>

> So, is it normal for this data to take 40mb of space on a device?

>

depends on what you are exporting to, however mb space is only referring to image download size! so if u have high quality images you might want to drop them down, also screen/layout resolution must be under 1080 if u want lower mb weight!

You see, this is my first project and I don't remember why, but I've set the window size to 5750, 3250 when created the project. Also, one of my layouts is 31546, 3250.. And there's no way I can change that now..

Is this the source of this big data size?

I'm guessing this has nothing to do with what you are saving.

This app data is probably some temp files, maybe downloaded from the Internet or created by some plugins. Are you using any 3rd party plugins, showing ads etc.?

Yes I am using Appodeal Ads

• arrays dont use that type of memory space, its definitely your images or sounds or a files you imported. also the 40 mb on device, might actually be the safety number that the app requires to run, i seen c2 games that where under 5 mb but requiring 250 mb to run. we can't say for sure without seeing your project file and what you have inside. im more curious about the stats at bottom of the c2. that tells you total download size, running memory required. also u might want to run a debug and see what you get from inspect tool as size and cpu usage. 40 mb on mobile device is normal though, i wouldn't worry about it.

• You see, this is my first project and I don't remember why, but I've set the window size to 5750, 3250 when created the project. Also, one of my layouts is 31546, 3250.. And there's no way I can change that now..

Is this the source of this big data size?

Almost definitely. If your assets are also very big (which is quite likely given the screen size etc) then their images will be very large in terms of MB.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • arrays dont use that type of memory space, its definitely your images or sounds or a files you imported. also the 40 mb on device, might actually be the safety number that the app requires to run, i seen c2 games that where under 5 mb but requiring 250 mb to run. we can't say for sure without seeing your project file and what you have inside. im more curious about the stats at bottom of the c2. that tells you total download size, running memory required. also u might want to run a debug and see what you get from inspect tool as size and cpu usage. 40 mb on mobile device is normal though, i wouldn't worry about it.

I feel like a total noob right now, as most replies on this thread were questions like these, no offense.

The Approx. Download size is 5.9mb. Memory use 200.1mb; Events: 2284

The size of the images when exported is 4mb (1,5mb when optimized).

This is from the biggest layout in my project, in regards of the size of images. Though I don't know what does this have to do with the data of the app, as far as I know, images are not saved in data..?

> You see, this is my first project and I don't remember why, but I've set the window size to 5750, 3250 when created the project. Also, one of my layouts is 31546, 3250.. And there's no way I can change that now..

> Is this the source of this big data size?

>

Almost definitely. If your assets are also very big (which is quite likely given the screen size etc) then their images will be very large in terms of MB.

Are you sure? I don't think the size of the layout has anything to do with the size of the display of the device. Also, I think stretching the images does not affect their size...

I will test this out anyway..

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)