How do I do a for each loop regarding a tilemap?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
SynthWave Loop Pack includes 68 seamless loops, founded on 11 original melodies.
  • I'm using a tilemap to create my levels, and I'd like to spawn a specific object at certain tiles when the level starts. For example create this object at tilemap "Grass" for the "1,5,6,7" tiles at start of layout. Is there a method of code to do that?

• Not 100% sure I understand what you mean, you want a sprite to spawn at a certain tile?

If that's the case you can set the position of the sprite.X to Tilemap.TileToPositionX(TileNumberX) and the same for the Y.

So:

Sprite.X = Tilemap.TileToPositionX(0)

Sprite.Y = Tilemap.TileToPositionY(0)

Would place it in the top left corner.

If you want it to place it at a certain type of tile like grass. You just add a loop that goes through your tilemap and you make a check against the tile that holds the "Grass" one.

What confuse me a little is:

[quote:2u9wx53u]For example create this object at tilemap "Grass" for the "1,5,6,7" tiles at...

Because im not really sure what you refer to, as tile position are a coordinate (0,0) or (2,5) and so on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • nimos100

I think what I'm looking for is similar to ReflextionsDev. If I have a tilemap with grass, rocks, water and also have a tile that is the enemy, could I loop through the tilemap and look for all the tiles with the enemy and spawn my enemy object there?

Reason why I don't just create enemies at X,Y coordinates is because I have the maps generated from JSON file and when creating a level, I can't see where I want to place my enemies (they might be in the walls). If I have a enemy tile, I can just draw my tilemap, export it, and load it in as a level in my game.

• Yes you could, although it quickly becomes inefficient as the tilemap size increases.

• Magistross

Yeah, realizing it freezes the game for 5 seconds while it runs through the loop. Figured out how to do it though:

For "X" from 1 to 3000

For "Y" from 1 to 3000

If (Tile loopindex("X"), loopindex("Y")=8)

Then Set tile loopindex("X"), loopindex("Y") to tile 19 Or create enemy

• I've decided that this method is useless for mobile. It takes nearly a whole minute to run through the loop. If I have more conditions and different objects, it would take a century to run it like this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)