I need to do a simple game engine.
It's something similar to text-based games.
There is no relevant graphics here, but the story itself is important.
The player moves between locations.
After entering the the location, things happen:
- messages about the given location are displayed
- turned down the music that is played on the way to the location and volume up music for a particular location
- at the end, the player gets a list of possibilities (he can go left, right, he can raise something, he can ask to tell the narrator about this area again, etc.)
I thought that I would set the player on the board where the locations will be located. The view is from above.
Everything will be symbolically represented as squares.
If the user selects a move to location A then the player object will automatically go to that position. As soon as it reaches the goal, the game engine will start to check each condition individually.
So the location should be an object composed of different properties:
- what sound file for the background
- the number of seconds passes between the music from the road and the one in the location
- basic description
- extended description
- where to go (the other locations)
I am asking for suggestions on how to do it.
What should I use to create a location object?
Maybe there are tutorials somewhere?
I will be very grateful for every hint.