How do I load all assets once at start of game?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Change the size and position of everything without calculating anything!
  • Here:

Sometimes loading a lot of content takes a while!

My game have 8 languages and big problems with speed of loading them on IOS.

I'm sure it is impossible to make, but still a chance I'm wrong:

?an I load all webfonts into all text objects of all layouts once during the launch of the application or after language changing? Avoiding repetition loading.

Same with sprites.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Can't you lazy load (just load them at the point you first need them) rather than trying to read everything on startup? For example loading 8 languages is especially wasteful if the user is only going to use 1!

• Why not make each language have its own layout, then have the player choose the language they want at the beginning of the game.

• Burvey thats still clunky. All string data for all languages should ideally be stored in data files. Then use lookup ids in your code. Swapping a language is as easy as changing a value that points to a language block of data or loading in the required data file.

• you are correct, and the only reason I mentioned it is because apparently they have language specific sprites as well, not just text.

• Burvey ah yes. I stand corrected. Localised images... a whole world of hurt - especially if their are lots of them

• Can't you lazy load (just load them at the point you first need them) rather than trying to read everything on startup?

I explained that it occurs very slowly. The file with the text "new game" or "continue" is loaded throught AJAX so slow that it is visible.

For example loading 8 languages is especially wasteful if the user is only going to use 1!

Of course I do not use all 8 languages simultaneously. At one moment one language is active.

But while loading each layout each time in each text object need to load webfonts. Regardless of the language was changed or not. I am about it.

• Why not make each language have its own layout, then have the player choose the language they want at the beginning of the game.

I thought about it, but then I will need to manage the 7x8 layouts

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)