Layout Size Question

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • What is the most common layout size you are using for PC games?

Since browsers take up some of the real-estate I was wounding what is a good size for a modern game.

• Layout size is basically irrelevant to cpu usage and I don't really think there's a common size used.

Window size is a different story, as this decides how many pixels are being drawn on the screen.

If your game is PC only, 1080p is probably a good route to go.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I guess I meant Window size.

So you mean by 1080 (1920 × 1080 )?

• Indeed, I do..

It might depend on what you're doing, though. I'll explain.. bigger window size, means your sprites will end up being bigger to match, so everything will end up using more cpu. In most cases, this is not really a problem on PC, but if there's going to be a very large amount of sprites, it can add up.

I've been working on stuff for mobile, so I'm not really an expert here, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

• Thanks for your input.

Though I am still looking for a general Layout Size for PC games. Too big eats up vidio memory, too small looks cheep.

• My layout is 120,000 by 2000

And every thing work smooth.

• wow...

• Indeed, I do..

It might depend on what you're doing, though. I'll explain.. bigger window size, means your sprites will end up being bigger to match, so everything will end up using more cpu. In most cases, this is not really a problem on PC, but if there's going to be a very large amount of sprites, it can add up.

I've been working on stuff for mobile, so I'm not really an expert here, but I think I know what I'm talking about.

This is actually true if the fullscreen property is off, or if the actual size of the window of the game is the size you specified,Else, the rule is more if the screen is larger it will cost more tile (not much if the the scaling mode is set on low quality), if it is smaller it will cost less time (regardless of the scaling quality). The size of the graphics themselves is what matters in reality, as as long as you have a scaling on your game the window size is really not that important due to the scaling itself (it serves as a reference, but since you can specify one and obtain the result you want anyway, it is more a "first choice for editing convenience" that is not that big, that is why the aspect ratio is far more important with it.)

Also a big layout size means nothing at all (it is litterally just two numbers that influence soem behaviors like the destroy outside layout, and lock the scrolling only if you want to) what is inside is what matters.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)