Laptop-to-Cell LAN P2P (no internet)

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
  • I've scoured the interwebs (including an awesome tutorial by Ashley) about setting things up so that I can preview my game on my cell phone without having to constantly export and upload/install the apk every time. Also, I don't have internet at home, so I'm limited to public wifi.

What I'm seeking is if there's an option to connect my laptop and cell phone via a LAN without any internet connectivity at all (think: deserted island circumstances). I've rather figured out how to create a custom LAN in the network listings, but I don't know how to get my cell phone to even recognize it in its own list so to connect the two.

I want to be able to transfer files in the same way you would via a USB cable, only wirelessly and locally (like, inches apart, heh).

What am I missing, or is this even possible?

• I've never tried it but this site claims to offer what you would need to turn your laptop wireless connection in to a wireless access point providing a link between it and other wifi enabled devices (your cell phone) via wireless network connection.

http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

Good luck.. let me know if this works.

• troublesum I don't think he needs a wireless access point, just a way to set up an ad-hoc network between the phone and PC.

Rhindon try googling how to set up an ad hoc network - if I'm correct, once you set it up properly you should be able to connect to it just like any other network with your phone.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks, gentlemen. I'll give it another go...

UPDATE: Doing some more reading, essentially I'm looking for what's called peer-to-peer networking.

• Your phone should let you set it up as a wireless Access Point, then you might be able to connect from your PC to that WiFi network and copy files to the phone (or access the PC from the phone with an app).

http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/phones ... otspot.htm

Hope that helps!

• Jayjay - So, instead of the Android connecting to the laptop, it's the laptop to the Android?

• Rhindon, yes, it shouldn't matter too much which one is hosting the wifi connection, but the phone should have a pretty easy setting to turn it on/off.

• Jayjay - I see. That ultimately is the problem... I'm trying to avoid having to use any internet connection at all. Just a strict device-to-device connect. Like a digital walkie-talkie, of sorts. Picture transferring data between devices via a USB but without the USB. You don't need the internet to do it. This is key because at home I don't have any internet service and I have next to no cell signal, but I still want to be able to test my mobile game.

• No problem! This needs no Internet connection, it creates a WiFi LAN connection that devices can connect directly one to another, like the Ad-Hoc solution posed by sqiddster

There is absolutely no cell or Internet needed to make this Wi-Fi hotspot for your two devices to connect

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)