How do I know which version of Java to use?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • Hi

Let me explain it, I'm developing a game for Android (first) and I have a question:

Which version of Java to use?

I think during the process I use Java 2 times:

1. During the "Minify script" process

2. During the App "Signer & Zipalign" process

I changed from JDK v6.45 to JDK v7.72 and I have no problem with the number 1, but at the moment of installing from Google Play I get this error: "'Package file was not signed correctly", so I guess it's because of the Java version

But what about the "Minify script" process?

It's there a difference between "Minify script" with JDK v6.45 and JDK v7.72?

• Download Java 6 to to Sign using "Jarsigner" and any other java's "Zipalign" will work. I am going to link you to a tutorial that is very informative, and if you need any more help, just PM me!

Java 7+ is having signing issues, so use 6.

Here is the link to the tutorial. Again, any more questions PM me or ask them here!

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/861/ho ... apk?page=2

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Also, here is the link to download the Java that I use. http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 45-oth-JPR

• But what about the "Minify script" process?

It's there a difference between "Minify script" with JDK v6.45 and JDK v7.72?

• Iolva No, sorry for the late response. Also, what wrapper are you using? If you are using CooconJS or Crosswalk, I recommend not using the "Minify script." These two wrappers do it automatically on their end while compiling, and could possibly cause some issues. But to answer your question, no, not much of a difference. The only issues that I have come across with the newer Java versions is the -jarsigner.

• If you are using CooconJS or Crosswalk, I recommend not using the "Minify script." These two wrappers do it automatically on their end while compiling, and could possibly cause some issues.

This is interesting. Can you expand on this? What issues?

• I have not personally had issues with it, but I have never "minified," I remember there being a lot on the forums here about it and on the ludai forums on their website. Once I get home I will try to find you some more information and actual links to the explanations. Though I remember from the official plugin .md file it saying "Set the destination folder where the project will be exported, We recommend to uncheck the “minify script” option."

• I'm using Crosswalk and I ALWAYS use the "Minify Script” option.

If I don't use it the "c2runtime.js" file is about 5.88MB!!, but I use the "Minify Script" option it's just 1.98MB!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)