How do I make joystick feel?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
A smart joystick plugin, perfect for all mobile games.
  • I've forgotten the term, but it's where you feel the controls in the game - like when you push up against the wall, you can feel the wall pushing back in your hands. The term is erogetics or something. It's synonym is kinetics-something.

This arcade stick tutorial is great: https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/398/to ... ers/page-3

But what it lacks is that feel, so that just by feeling, you can tell the stick can't escape its bounds. Visually the stick does this, but not with feeling. I think the feeling is necessary, so people can play a game without pushing their thumbs too far up or down, left or right, in moving the stick.

So, how do I make the joystick feel?

• Are you trying to get the controller to receive feedback from the game? Like, are you looking for the stick to become physically limited in how far it can be pushed when your player is up against a wall?

or are you looking for something similar to a rumble pack?

• Are you trying to get the controller to receive feedback from the game? Like, are you looking for the stick to become physically limited in how far it can be pushed when your player is up against a wall?

or are you looking for something similar to a rumble pack?

I think physically limited, but so the player can feel the limit.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The only form of physical feedback offered by mobile devices is vibrate. I doubt it would feel appropriate.

• The only form of physical feedback offered by mobile devices is vibrate. I doubt it would feel appropriate.

Hmm...is there any alternative to physical feedback than?

Like, I'd prefer the player to not have to either a) look back and forth from stick to gameplay or b) move their thumbs too far up when pushing the stick up. That way they can focus on the game, not cover up the screen with a thumb, and not have to worry about if they're using the stick right.

• Virtual controls are big point of debate in mobile games - I fall into the camp that finds them terrible.

The most popular mobile games (Angry Birds, Temple Run, Flappy Bird, 2048) have intuitive, simple controls; it might be worth thinking about an alternate control method.

For example, the endless runner genre gained popularity among developers as it reduced a platformer game to a simple 1-2 button idea whilst retaining the skillset required.

This video might be interesting:

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • Virtual controls are big point of debate in mobile games - I fall into the camp that finds them terrible.

The most popular mobile games (Angry Birds, Temple Run, Flappy Bird, 2048) have intuitive, simple controls; it might be worth thinking about an alternate control method.

For example, the endless runner genre gained popularity among developers as it reduced a platformer game to a simple 1-2 button idea whilst retaining the skillset required.

This video might be interesting:

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Mobile games in general are terrible, but I think it's partially to do with the mobile industry. If they gave more support to games, better games would be made. Not that lazy devs wouldn't still be lazy, mind you.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)