Improving the performance of dungeon generator

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Firebase: Analytics, Dynamic Links, Remote Config, Performance, Crashlytics on Android, iOS & Web Browser
  • Hi all, the trouble I'm having is the procedural dungeon generation event sheet reduces my iPhone 4S to ~3 frames per second, yet it runs fine on PC.

    I've been testing and testing trying to isolate the issue and I can't seem to pin it down. I have debug text to show if the generator is constantly on (which indicates that it isn't). I also tested if it was the sheer number of sprites being generated that was the culprit; in short, it wasn't, it lags constantly regardless of the layout size it is working with. The last test I conducted was to manually paste in a large number of the tile sprites, rather than spawn them through the generator. The game runs perfectly fine with this, but it isn't really the solution I was looking for, confirming to me that the number of sprites isn't the issue.

    Here is the capx

    If you're testing this out on iOS, its a 3 finger touch to generate a dungeon.

  • How or what are you using to test? I had a framerate problem (like you) but that was because I was using phonegap/stock standard HTML5. If anything you should try use AppMobi or CocoonJS (I recommend this) as it boosts the speed of it to native speeds.

    Note: For testing you need to use the AppMobi or CocoonJS app, but once you finished, you can export as a native file.

  • I can't seem to get it working either even after altering the project.

    It doesn't even seem to get any better on an iPad.

  • Try Construct 3

    Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

    Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hey , I was running it with CocoonJS, I haven't tried it in PhoneGap or Appmobi, but I'm assuming they'll perform even worse than CocoonJS.

  • Wrangler

    They do indeed perform worse. I can't even get Appmobi to work properly :/

    But yes, as I said earlier it's probably something to do with the arrays' and calling them. You'll probably need to make it more streamline and efficient.

    Other than that, i've got nothing.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)