How do I 'if-then' (super newb)

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Make your dream action platformer game effortlessly with this template!
  • I am brand new to Construct 2 (been using it since Friday). I'm having a heck of a time getting if-then statements to work. The simple version:

-I'm in a repeat loop that goes to 5.

-Each time through the loop, I am randomly assigning a number between 1 and 15 to the variable 'Pick'.

-I want to assign the contents of 'Pick' to one of 5 text fields. The text fields are labeled B1, B2, B3, B4, B5.

-Each time through the loop, I want to detect what the loop index # is and assign 'Pick' to a specific field. So if the loopindex = 1, I would assign Pick to B1. If loopindex = 2, I would assign Pick to B2, etc...

If I was writing this in other scripting languages, I would write something like this:

if (loopindex == 1) then

B1.text = Pick;

if (loopindex == 2) then

B2.text = Pick;

Basically, an if-then, with no 'else'. But, from what I can tell, the conditional statements in Construct 2 keep forcing me to add an 'else' to it (really frustrated with this). So, when I'm in the loop, I put in an action to set the B1 text to:

loopindex = 1 ? Pick : ""

However, when loopindex doesn't equal 1, it obviously erases what is in B1. How do I not put something after the colon? Is there a 'null' or 'do nothing' command I can put there (couldn't find find one)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Matt

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Use the 'else' condition. Construct2 has 'else' condition under 'system'

It will look like this:

if ( loopindex ==1) //do something

else if (loopindex ==2) //do something2

else if... // and so on

• simple use subevent like this

• Thank you! Great suggestions. Subevents did it. Thanks!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)