Is my idea for an online multiplayer map possible?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Create your own adventure map with this easy to use asset pack.
  • Hello everyone , I'm currently constructing what will be a minimap for my game, but I need a bit of help understanding if my map is a possibility.

The letters on the map represent what will be different layouts in the game. A and D represent a base, while B and C are outside. What I'd like to know is if there's any way to have P1 and P2 be able to see each other on the map, even if they are in different zones(layouts). I essentially just want player icons to be pinned to the red dots depending on what layout they are in.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but if I need to clarify anything please let me know. Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes it's possible. Data and rendering are not linked. The MP Plugin is a global object so connection remains between C2 layouts.

• Awesome great to hear. I'm fairly new to Construct 2 and so far I'm learning at a great pace, but I stumbled on this issue. I'm struggling with the idea of how getting icons to work between layouts. If I wanted to have a device that was able to track an enemy, even if they weren't on the same layout as my current player, how would I go about making that work? That's what I'm having a hard time grasping.

• I haven't tried multiplayer at all. And I don't know how C2 handles MP data. I'm pretty sure you can send data to the server and retrieve it. So a variable with info about the layout you're in should do the trick.

Imagine something like, on start of layout you set myCurrentLayout to whatever layout you're in. Once a peer receive that value you check it, if layout1, you spawn the icon at point1, if layout2 spawn it at point2 and so on.

• I haven't tried multiplayer at all. And I don't know how C2 handles MP data. I'm pretty sure you can send data to the server and retrieve it. So a variable with info about the layout you're in should do the trick.

Imagine something like, on start of layout you set myCurrentLayout to whatever layout you're in. Once a peer receive that value you check it, if layout1, you spawn the icon at point1, if layout2 spawn it at point2 and so on.

Great! That makes a lot of sense. I actually thought of something similar to this, but I wasn't sure if it would work with the MP behavior. Thanks for the info, it helps a lot.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)