HP systems and Inventories

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • I am just starting with construct2 so forgive my ignorance:

I would like to make a top-down perspective game similar to Secret of Mana/Zelda 3/Shining Soul

Using C2, how much can I create as far as stats and health?

Is there a way to create an inventory for tools or alternate weapon types?

(I am sure there is a way using code but what I mean is how much of this can I create via drag & drop with the default settings?)

Thank you!

• You don't have to use code at all - it is all event driven and some use of expressions (with drag and drop you can only arrange the graphics).

Stats, weapons and health are just variables you store

There is a lot you can do very easy. But there are other things that are more complicated.

So for this kind of game, you will have to learn/use arrays and maybe JSON.

Not to complicated, but also not the easiest things to do.

There is an alternative

http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

this one does make live easier for your game, but on the other hand, if you want to make something else it's useless. Here C2 shines - you can build whatever you want.

• Sounds good, I will start creating a design doc so I can nail down the specifics.

Thanks!

Would you happen to have any links to tutorials on JSON/arrays or are those in the more specific forum categories here?

• Check the manual, tutorials and the frequently asked questions. You can find everything you need in those

• Here you see how an advanced dialog system is implemented (with JSON) - so it's advanced but very informative.

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Here is a video where I don't know if any good - but he makes an rpg from scratch

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • I have a question for you. In this regard in what style of stuff do you want because there really a handful of ways of doing things.

Like for instance some rpg games in stead of number they use animated sprites for hp . Where in zelda its the hearts that get gained and lost. And other rpg like final fantasy uses number to tell you. I would flesh out a design on paper. And then study the games that has that design and try to figure out on how it is being done.

I am in the same boat in making some thing similar but like i said each rpg style game has its own way of presenting its way of projecting the game on to the player.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Gearworkdragon, I can show you a mock up of how I am envisioning it:

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)