[How do I] optimize the APK that will be built in the XDK

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • I had a conversation with the Intel's support about the XDK and he gave me some explanations/instructions on how to optimize the APK through additions.xml before generating the application. I'm not opening the topic for discussion, but only to make it as a reference for those who want to solve the problems that the XDK has shown recently.

[quote:1wgfxlpo]For those Construct2 users who are experiencing Crosswalk performance problems with CLI 5.1.1:

do not reference plugins in your intelxdk.config.additions.xml file, it will cause problems, see this post > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums ... pic/594986 (Add plugins via Plugin Management Tool and avoid intelxdk.config.additions.xml file)

put your source into a www directory inside your project directory, see this post > https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums ... pic/607195 (Importing a Construct2 Game into the Intel XDK)

add the following to your intelxdk.config.additions.xml file, see this FAQ > https://software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/fa ... animatable (How can I improve the performance of my Crosswalk app so it is as fast as Crosswalk 7 was?)

Crosswalk performance problems are usually due to a lack of the --ignore-gpu-blacklist option in the intelxdk.config.additions.xml file (see above for how to add it). Also, see this blog > Chromium Command-Line Options for Crosswalk Builds with the Intel XDK for some additional tools that can be used to modify Crosswalk webview runtime parameters.

CLI 4.1.2 included this option automatically. Because there is such a dramatic change to the CLI 5.x build systems, you must now add it manually to make sure it is part of your Crosswalk built app.

• Thank you, thank you. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my game was running at 5fps for the past week. I'm getting 25fps even on an old Galaxy Nexus now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The most important part of the post that RBuster provided above is the inclusion of the --ignore-gpu-blacklist option in your intelxdk.config.additions.xml file (using the format shown in the post above). Including that line will fix the performance issues for 99% of Construct2 Crosswalk builds with the Intel XDK.

[quote:2fqnluz4]NOTE: by enabling this ignore blacklist feature you may see strange video behavior on some devices, unfortunately, there is no concise list of which devices may experience strange behavior or what those problems might be. The reason the Chromium project maintains that list as part of Chromium is to avoid the problems present in those devices that are on the blacklist.

The most up-to-date posting for this performance issue can be found thru this Intel XDK FAQ note > software.intel.com/en-us/xdk/fa ... animatable

• I don't know what happend to Intel XDK within last week. I recompiled project today and with the same app I had 50% performance drop. After applying to all those suggestions mentioned above it helped a bit but not much. Still missing about 10-15FPS in comparison to last week.

• My tablet has the issue in reverse. If --ignore-gpu-blacklist is enable, Crosswalk/Chromium attempts to use hardware acceleration for canvas. While it does work, it also introduces a driver bug that causes a "freeze" in the animations (Fade behavior) which effectively freezes the game. When it's disabled and using software rendering, my tablet performs flawlessly. So, it's a double-edged sword.

For those interested, you can toggle settings like --ignore-gpu-blacklist in Chrome by using chrome://flags. You can also get information about your GPU using chrome://gpu.

Also, if you have not attempted to use Intel XDK's profile features, I highly recommend it. It can help you identify a lot of bottlenecks. It's how I originally pinned down my issue as a GPU issue and not Construct or Cordova.

Side note. I am using a Dell Venue 7 3730 with the PowerVR SXG544 GPU. If you search, you'll find a few bug reports on it in relation to Chromium/Chrome.

• Thank you, thank you. I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my game was running at 5fps for the past week. I'm getting 25fps even on an old Galaxy Nexus now.

Try IntelXDK 3491 version, and confiturations above, you must get abou 45 -50 FPS (if game is optimized). One problem i can't find intall file. In older version builder doesn't work properly.

• Hi

I got a problem with performace (low fps). I build real time multiplayer game.

I have difficulty, because even after optimization FPS is between 20 and 40 on the mobile device when is connect only Host. I also noticed that it is jumping FPS for SCIRRA signaling server (my internet speed is perfect). Is this possible, and how to combat it?

After half a year of work I have reached the conclusion that the Construct 2 Cordova and Intel XDK with Croswalk, absolutely not suitable for real time multiplayer game for mobile devices.

If anyone can give advice, I would be very grateful, because I do not want to discard the half-year and project to the Trash.

P.S. I have applied all possible optimization techniques (tips from Intel and forums). It also tested the game deleting 90 percent of its functionality. The result little better, but FPS jumping from 30 to 45.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)