How do I go about Cape physics on a character

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
2d mushroom sprite 2d game mushroom character enmy sprite game art
  • Hi,

I am looking for help/ a solution on Cape physics for my Game. The character wears a blue scarf and I want a sort of cape effect to make it work. I am not animating it by hand because it would be way to much of an undertaking.

Anyone know a solution or method? The effect im looking for is like that of Noita's Cape physics.

I am using construct 2. Example video below of Noita

youtu.be/mHXwmpsvy50

Tagged:

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Cape/cloth physics is much like rope physics. Basically it’s made of a bunch of point that have velocity and fall with gravity. Then you keep track of the distances between pairs of points, and move them closer toward each other if they are too far away.

Anyways one way is to use the physics behavior and connect them together with joints.

Another is to use event based physics. Look up rope or cloth physics for examples.

In c2 you have a third party plugin like paster to distort the image. Or you can just fake it with sprites.

As far as the simulation itself you’ll just have to tune parameters. Maybe more air resistance or less gravity. A more elaborate sim might do the physics in 3D, or limit not only the distance between points but the bending angle. Also another idea is to make the air drag depend on the angle of the parts of the cape, probably a lift/drag model like planes use. Finally adding collisions with the player or with other parts of the cloth itself could look cool. It just depends how deep you want to go.

• This is the best I can get with physics & pin behavior to mimic cape motion: dropbox.com/s/z4rxpjvurjn60jj/cape_physics.capx

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)