My game stutters after I export it, even though it shouldn't

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Thread title pretty much describes my issue. When I'm previewing the game in a browser it runs just fine, but once I export it via Node-Webkit to turn it into an application, running the program ends up with awful stuttering and eventually a full hard-lock (I have to close the program in task manager to make it go away).

This happens with any game I export, even though the games themselves are very small and don't have much to load/unload at a moment's notice. The most annoying thing of all is that sometimes it runs perfectly fine, with no hitches whatsoever. Why is this happening, what could be causing it? I am on Win 7 64-bit if that matters.

• Thread title pretty much describes my issue. When I'm previewing the game in a browser it runs just fine, but once I export it via Node-Webkit to turn it into an application, running the program ends up with awful stuttering and eventually a full hard-lock (I have to close the program in task manager to make it go away).

This happens with any game I export, even though the games themselves are very small and don't have much to load/unload at a moment's notice. The most annoying thing of all is that sometimes it runs perfectly fine, with no hitches whatsoever. Why is this happening, what could be causing it? I am on Win 7 64-bit if that matters.

Not really enough information to determine a cause.

What version of C2 are you using?

What version of NW.js are you using? Latest is available HERE.

Does this happen even when exporting one of the built-in examples?

Can you provide an example?

• I am using the latest stable version of Construct 2 (r212.2), fully up-to-date. How do I find out what version of nw.js I'm using? Is it automatically updated with Construct 2?

No, it does not happen when exporting the built-in project examples, only with my own projects. Which I suppose means whatever is wrong is definitely my fault.

edit: I have downloaded the latest version of nw.js but I don't know what to do with it. I'm still petty new at this.

• The easiest way to test the hypothesis is for you to provide any (small) example .capx that janks for you, so that we can test it on our systems.

• Here's a zipped up random game I'm working on that has this problem, I stripped out all the unnecessary stuff. It's just a basic breakout-type game I'm in the middle of converting from a tutorial I followed into my own game. There will be a few variables and stuff that don't do anything because I didn't give you the whole project (because it's a bit large).

puu.sh/kLcQJ/89cbc69747.rar

edit: Oops, I misread that, you said you wanted a .capx. Well let me know if this doesn't suffice and I'll give you that instead. I did export it in this state though just to test it and it does have the same problem.

• You are still using r212 which did have a late-breaking bug fix, so maybe worth updating.

I exported and tested the Win64 version and played the whole level and didn't experience any janking.

Running via Firefox, there was one slight jank when the bullet pickup was first used and lots of bonuses dropped. Other than that, I can't really see any issues - probably unfortunately for you.

Spawning particles all the time could be an issu for some GPUs.

What GPU have you got, and when was the drivers updated?

• Oh. The problem might actually be with my computer then, and not the game. I have no idea why it would be stuttering. And thanks for the heads up on updating, I guess I am behind a bit. I'll put the game on a flash drive or something after exporting and test it on my laptop. If it runs fine then the problem is likely with my PC in which case I have no idea what could be causing the issue.

On the PC I normally use I have an Nvidia GTX 760, and I just updated to the latest drivers yesterday. I use an intel i5 4670 and have 16 gb ddr3 ram. It's definitely capable of running games like this, or at least, it should be.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Your system is more than adequate.

Maybe monitor via Task Manager to see CPU and memory usuage - see if you can spot anything.

Just noticed that NWjs is called NodeWebkit in your Project. This is not right.

I tested using r214 and the NW.js (NodeWebkit) from the earlier link I provided.

• I tested it out on my laptop and yep, it played fine. Task manager shows nothing out of the ordinary, it hovers at a consistent couple-of-percent CPU and 9000K memory usage.

Re: NW.js, how do I fix that? After I download it from the link you gave, it gives me an installer and I'm not sure what to do with it.

edit: For reference, when I export it through Construct 2, I just go straight to export via node-webkit and then run the exe file from the resulting folder to test it. Should I be doing something else instead?

• Just added to my previous post.

NodeWebkit became a separate install and was renamed, whilst your project still uses the old naming of NodeWebkit.

• Ah, I figured it out. I was using a really old version of node webkit and just replacing the old files with the current ones in my Construct install fixed it. Now games that I export using it run just fine (tested a couple different projects). Phew, glad the problem is not with my computer! Thank you very much for the help!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)