How do I export a node-webkit project that uses .mp4 videos?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Add SubRip (SRT) subtitles to your videos in Construct 3
  • I've got a project on the go right now that uses .mp4 video files in various places, but I've found that when I export it using node-webkit, the videos stop working. Ive heard using webm or ogg works with node-webkit, but I haven't found a way to encode them from my .avi files without huge quality loss, or just flat out having construct refuse import them.

So I'm hoping someone either has some advice for making a node-webkit project play .mp4 files, or if there's a reliable way to export ogg/webm for Construct 2, while maintaining quality.

• There are obviously commercial programs that will convert to ogm/webm, but you could also try the free video player VLC from Videolan. It includes the facility to convert between many formats. Might worth a try.

• There's no workaround, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format and since node-webkit is based on open-source code which hasn't paid any of the royalty fees, it can't support the patented formats. You need to encode your video to Theora or WebM. You need to do that anyway, for any platform, since for the same reason, not all web browsers or OSs support MP4.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There's no workaround, MP4 is a patent-encumbered format and since node-webkit is based on open-source code which hasn't paid any of the royalty fees, it can't support the patented formats. You need to encode your video to Theora or WebM. You need to do that anyway, for any platform, since for the same reason, not all web browsers or OSs support MP4.

Ahh, alright, good to know. Thanks!

There are obviously commercial programs that will convert to ogm/webm, but you could also try the free video player VLC from Videolan. It includes the facility to convert between many formats. Might worth a try.

Ive been fiddling with VLC; I've got the quality issue sorted, but for whatever reason construct refuses to play the file. Is there maybe a specific bitrate, or codec I should be using? Right now I'm using the VP8 codec, and 2000 kb/s bitrate.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit:

Nevermind, turns out I'm just a bit dense. I just now realized that ive been testing in IE this whole time, which I guess doesnt support webm

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)