Elevator system help (Going to the floor you want)

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Game with complete Source-Code (Construct 3 / .c3p) + HTML5 Exported.
  • How would I go about making an elevator system for a platform game?

Not just a simple back and forth movement but something that stops at desired floors through pressing the corresponding button.

I tried messing around with custom movement but ended up using the sine behavior on the elevator in a way that it only moves when the player is standing on it.

SineElevatorExample

Far from perfect I know. And the player jumps/lags quite a bit. Attempted to fix the lag by looking at the example Yann posted here: Vertical Moving Platform

...but instead the entire elevator lagged immensly.

Here is a similar test layout where I wanted to use the buttons to make the elevator move to the desired floor, but I don't know where to start!

Global variables, instance variables? Loops?ButtonsMovingElevator

The layouts are all just mockups to test if things work.

And don't mind the silly testdummy in the first capx!

I do not expect a cake on a silver plate but any little help to show me the way is greatly appreciated. Sorry if I missed a topic already explaining something similar.

If you take a look at this, thank you in advance!

• For the lagging elevator, try disabling event 21 in Yann's example, and you'll hopefully see what it does.

Controlling the elevator with buttons gets a bit more complicated though, I don't think sine movement is the best behaviour to use in that case.

• you could try to use Custom movement instead of sine

I would try this

On key x pressed:

if player overlapping elevator object:

elevator move towards position (elevator.x, arrival platform.y)

And i think you need to stop it when both Y values are the same...

I'm not sure if this works and cant test it since i don't have construct here right now

But with no testing its what i would try out first

• I modified your .capx a bit, hope it helps:

Example: Elevator, 3 floors (No buttons)

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Nimtrix    Cool, I'll try disabling it! And I know sine movement isn't the right approach, was just a test and also to get any result at all :)

thanks for replying!

rgros     I updated the second example. I tried custom movement that is only enabled when player is overlapping the elevator + pressing blankspace for it to start moving. At both ends are colliderobjects that reverse the custom movement on collision.

I did that before reading your post actually. What I can't get to work atm, is to press blankspace again to make the elevator stop. And also to tell it to wait x seconds at either the endfloors or each floor, but each floor would get too boring in gameplay.

This is an acceptable method to use if I am to skip the complex system with buttons completely :)

EDIT: AH! Didn't see your second post there, I'll check the capx!

Thank you so far Nimtrix!

• Sorry for this double post!

I got so carried away with the modified capx that I forgot to say thank you!

Best thing is I understand it all! :) Compare Y, of course!

Thank you Nimtrix!!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)