Most efficient way of inputting dialogue data.

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • Making a Visual Novel style game so dialogue has a few variables that are checked every time you click forward in dialogue. Left_Actor_Pose, Right_Actor_Pose, Current_Dialogue_Line, Current_Dialogue_Speaker, etc. and I'll probably add more.

My current way of setting up all the data for each dialogue scene is that I have a bunch of arrays that all get their values set up when the scene is triggered. Now... that works for small 10 line scene but when you start reaching 40+ lines with 5+ arrays that all need each value and index to be manually typed in. And if you wanna remove 1 line you have to go through every single array index after and change it.

This is just not it...

My question is, is there a more manageable way of writing down the data for a dialogue system. I would preferably have some kind of system where you don't have to manually write down the index for each line. So if if you wanna delete 1 line, or add 1 line, all the following lines just adjust their indexes automatically, or are generated as you progress the scene.

I would also prefer if I could write down all the data need for the current dialogue line in just 1 string and each section getting extracted, something like.

leftpose,rightpose,dialogueline,dialoguespeaker,leftmovement,rightmovement

04,13,"hello world","Sara",shake,still

I hope this wasn't too much. Thank you for any help.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • To set values add loop "for" in condition and set end index to length/width of array. Now just set value at(loopindex) to values you are referring by using another loop "for" for the value. More or less like that to simplify filling an array.

• Thank you for the tip. I looked around and decided to use json files to write down dialogues. I also decided to just upgrade to construct 3 and remake the project.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)