How do I Dwarf fortress: how to make levels

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Complete asset pack for creating fortress and grassland for your games
  • Hi

I'm doing a play on the construction of a dwarven fortress and I have a problem.

My fortress will be created on different levels (level 0 = ground level, level -1 = a level below etc.). My problem is how to create levels; I used a layout for each level, the dwarves ( Behaviors--> Persist ) pass through the stairs from one layout to another without problems. If I have a dwarf-level 0, which is going to the kitchen and I receive the level 1, when I come back after a few seconds at level 0, the dwarf is still in the same point (the dwarf doesen't reach the kitchens), the game is like in pause; actions at 0 don't proceed when I am at level 1 (and vice versa).

How can I do ?

• Hi

I'm doing a play on the construction of a dwarven fortress and I have a problem.

My fortress will be created on different levels (level 0 = ground level, level -1 = a level below etc.). My problem is how to create levels; I used a layout for each level, the dwarves ( Behaviors--> Persist ) pass through the stairs from one layout to another without problems. If I have a dwarf-level 0, which is going to the kitchen and I receive the level 1, when I come back after a few seconds at level 0, the dwarf is still in the same point (the dwarf doesen't reach the kitchens), the game is like in pause; actions at 0 don't proceed when I am at level 1 (and vice versa).

How can I do ?

Im pretty sure that DF uses some sort of layers, so you could do that as well instead of layouts. And you just hide and show layers depending on what level you are on.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Im pretty sure that DF uses some sort of layers, so you could do that as well instead of layouts. And you just hide and show layers depending on what level you are on.

Thanks for the reply

I've tried to make the game using layers but there is another problem.

If I create an object eg. kitchen (solid object) to level 1, the dwarves who are at level 0 (that is, one level up) does not pass through the same area that is occupied by the object kitchen on level 1.

Should it object kitchen (solid) was an obstacle to the path of the dwarves only in layer 1 (level 1).

It's possible ?

• >

> Im pretty sure that DF uses some sort of layers, so you could do that as well instead of layouts. And you just hide and show layers depending on what level you are on.

>

Thanks for the reply

I've tried to make the game using layers but there is another problem.

If I create an object eg. kitchen (solid object) to level 1, the dwarves who are at level 0 (that is, one level up) does not pass through the same area that is occupied by the object kitchen on level 1.

Should it object kitchen (solid) was an obstacle to the path of the dwarves only in layer 1 (level 1).

It's possible ?

Yeah, unfortunately this is not possible, because you are going to run into the single collision mesh problem. Which is not something you can fix, as its part of C2, but its a known problem and pretty sure it will be fixed in C3, because it would cause a riot if it ain't, I think

This is an old post regarding this problem, which ended in a bug report and in the single collision mesh explanation. But its some time since I used the path finding behaviour, but guess the problem I illustrate here is the same you are facing.

https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=117025

And in general or as an advise, if you are planning on using the path finding behaviour in its current state, you really have to design your game around its limitation, meaning don't begin by making menus, nice graphics etc. Test the path finding and that it can do exactly what you need it to, because if you think you can "design" your way out of it, its simply not possible, so that my best advice, make sure that it can do exactly what you need before starting a project or you will most likely end up dropping it, or having to design your game around it later on, so might as well do it from the start . But its the main reason I personally don't use it, because it simply can't do what I want it to.

• Perhaps the only solution right now is to create the game on a single layer with a single layer of ground.

Unfortunately an object A (solid) on the first layer affects the movement of the dwarves placed on layer 0 or other layers.

I can not find a solution, I will have to wait for Construct 3.

• But does C3 correct this problem...

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)