How do I dash without platform behavior?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
In this template the music plays without looping in your game
  • Hello,

Sorry if someone asked this before. I searched around and saw a few threads about dash but I don't think that's what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm an artist / game designer currently working in a small indie studio. At the moment we're working on making different prototypes before we decide on one and fully develop it. The programmers are busy working on another prototype so I decided to check out Construct 2 and hopefully make my own and speed up the process.

I'm trying to make an action adventure game for the mobile devices. Where the character will dash in the direction the player swipes in. The character can only dash, there is no walk or run. Swiping up will jump up and swiping down will have the player jump down through a platform (if they're on one). The character's movement is essentially limited to an invisible grid. They cannot dash off a platform, which means if they're at the edge of a platform swiping off it will do nothing.

I was experimenting with platform behavior but it isn't exactly what I wanted to do. I'm experimenting with Set Position and Move Forward, it's closer to what I want to achieve except it cuts out the animation. But now I'm stuck with collisions. How do I make it so that the character can still bump into things and step on things? Adding solid behavior on objects isn't doing anything. I'm looking into On Collision with objects, am I on the right track?

Thank you for your help!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I was working on something similar. You ll have to use a grid type of movement if you wanna accomplish this.

Im at work so I dont have the files with me but try something like:

use custom movement behaviour:

Movement on Y = round(Player.Y + cos(270)+speed*dt where speed is the number of tiles per dt (delta time)

• joncameronli

What particular aspects of the Platform behaviour aren't giving you what you want to do? Maybe there is a way around them.

I'd be inclined to stick with using the Platform behaviour, but disable default control and use the Simulate Control actions on swipe, as this will give you the collisions you want, would let you do checks to prevent going over the edge and gives you the jump/dropdown actions you're after.

You could set a high movement speed to simulate dashing as well.

• joncameronli

What particular aspects of the Platform behaviour aren't giving you what you want to do? Maybe there is a way around them.

I'd be inclined to stick with using the Platform behaviour, but disable default control and use the Simulate Control actions on swipe, as this will give you the collisions you want, would let you do checks to prevent going over the edge and gives you the jump/dropdown actions you're after.

You could set a high movement speed to simulate dashing as well.

I guess I was stuck on how to prevent the character from going over the edge. I also experimented on getting a dash effect, but I soon moved onto what I have now (thinking that I was a genius for figuring it out...apparently not). I'll try again.

Is it possible to test the game on phone devices with the free version of Construct 2?

I was working on something similar. You ll have to use a grid type of movement if you wanna accomplish this.

Im at work so I dont have the files with me but try something like:

use custom movement behaviour:

Movement on Y = round(Player.Y + cos(270)+speed*dt where speed is the number of tiles per dt (delta time)

Thank you, I'll give both ways a try and report with results!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)