How do I crop the sprite from bottom run-time to make a boat sprite on screen to sink?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Times Table. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • How do I crop the sprite from bottom run-time to make a boat sprite on screen to sink?

To be more exact, I want to adjust the HEIGHT of sprite, without scaling the visible sprite smaller on screen, just clipping it away from bottom?

Another option would be to place another sprite below it and move it higher to hide the ship, but this another sprite would then hide the background water?!?

Tagged:

• ps. the background of boat is the animated water that is scrolling, the sprite itself remains on center of screen always

• On a new layer place the boat, and a new mask object (can be animated like water). Make sure the layer has "Force Own Texture" checked. Have the mask in front of the boat, and its blending mode set to "Destination Out".

• Thanks, is there a similar mask object for Construct2 available?

• Sorry it's just a normal sprite, I would just label it as a mask.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The "mask" is/can be a regular sprite object.

Moved the topic to the appropriate Construct 2 forums, since apparently this is a Construct 2 question.

See this manual article on effects/blend mode : construct.net/en/construct-2/manuals/construct-2/project-primitives/objects/effects

There is a template on C2's start that will show you how to achieve the "masked" effect with blending modes.

• Thanks, the example looks very promising.

I guess a new sprite with black rectangle having it's blend mode set to "destination out" placed on same layer with boat having higher z-order is the solution I think, however its not working, it's appearing on screen totally black. Any ideas? Perhaps I need to adjust layer settings, too?

Is there some other requirements, my current layer having these is transparent.

• On a new layer place the boat, and a new mask object (can be animated like water). Make sure the layer has "Force Own Texture" checked. Have the mask in front of the boat, and its blending mode set to "Destination Out".

• Excellent, "force own texture" does the trick!

A question; Does it cause game performance to be slower?

Is it possible to turn this "force own texture" feature ON run-time only when needed?

• Excellent, "force own texture" does the trick!

A question; Does it cause game performance to be slower?

Yes.

Is it possible to turn this "force own texture" feature ON run-time only when needed?

No.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)