Crisp/HD Game Assets On Multiple Resolutions?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Adjusting the game screen for different resolutions (Letterbox scale)
  • Hey Everyone!

I don''t know if this is the correct place to ask this kind of question, but I'm trying to draw my game assets in a "flat" like style, almost like the recent game Necropolis, but obviously in 2D.

The problem I'm facing is that i cant decide if i should, or shouldn't, draw the game assets in big sizes/resolutions so that they scale better, without losing quality (I HATE blurry edges xD). Would it be bad for perfomance?

What can i do to make the art adjustable to multiple screen resolutions without losing quality

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hello there.

Generally speaking, you don't have to worry about performance/speed when talking about image size. What you do need to worry about though, is available memory. See https://www.scirra.com/blog/112/remembe ... our-memory for more information.

Basically it depends on the memory limitations of the platform you are developing for, and how many assets you have in your game. It is a trade off between fewer high resolution images or many lower resolution images.

Ideally if you are not nearing your limits, you want to design for the highest resolution considered, then downscale.

On the other hand, I haven't had many issues with blurry edges and upscaling. There are some things to try such as pixel rounding and sampling type in your project properties.

• Oh ok, Im targeting desktop as the main platform for the game. Nice to know that image size won't be such a big problem xD.

As an example then, should I design the levels in a 1920*1080 resolution and draw the assets with the size that fits best for the game in that res, and then let c2 handle the downscaling? Or is 1920*1080 not enough? Thanks for the help!

• That is really a personal best judgment type of question... But I'd say 1080 would be more than enough.

Don't underestimate memory requirements though, remember there is a difference graphics memory and system memory.

• Ok, thanks a lot!

• Hi there!

I've developed a quiz app that has five different assets sizes for multiple resolutions. My design is also flat and displays perfectly in all screens I've tested.

Basically, I've created an AssetsManager function where I check if the device pixel ratio is not equal to 1 (mobile devices) and if it is equal to 1 (desktop or maybe tablets). This function can be called in the start of the layout or in a Browser > On resized event.

Then, I set the current device pixel ratio to a global variable that I can use everywhere in a Load image from URL action to call the correct asset.

The image will give you a better idea. Try to open it in a new tab to make sure you see the assets folders on the right.

Hope it helps!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)