How do I create a scenario like this avoiding big images

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • I think that the best way of doing it, and always avoiding big images, is to use a pack of 4 or 6 small different sprites and replicate them to shape the world and then using tilemap for all the decorations. The only problem of this, would be the amount of images overlapping each other and object count that would reach almost 90. Anyone would recommend differently?

With tilemap would be really hard to achieve these smooth curves and also really confusing to create, so using it only for the decorations would be my choice.

In this image I'm pointing some examples that makes the scenario, so Ignore all the decorations.

I hope you understand my idea

Any idea to achieve it and have the same performance potential of a tilemap?

I'm focusing on mobile so it's important

• Anyone??

• The best way is to use a tile map. To make the curves easier, you'll just have to use pretty small tiles, and take care that they line up correctly.

These kinds of maps are difficult to build by hand, but you can make a system to build them programmatically, which will fill in all of the transitions for you.

A few tricks, and you can easily solve the issues you mention.

• try this I have turn pic into tilemap

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • MVG

It's painful make a map with such curves using tilemap, but I'll try for the later greater good of my app's performance haha

Lordshiva1948

I wasn't talking about converting the image in to tilemap. I was using it as an example of the kind of map I want to create in my next strategy game and wondering the best way of doing it.

Also I don't know if creating the entire map on any image editor and then export it as a single image and import to c2 as a tilemap is a good idea I guess.

• Good luck! Let me know if you decide to do it procedurally, and need help with the map generation logic. It is much easier just to program the game to plop the tiles itself when you have complicated transitions rather than doing it manually. Unless you just have one map.

• MVG

A map generation doesn't fit for the proposal of my game. Also the hard part of it is to create the graphic with such curves, placing it manually in the layout isn't my concern, since I just need to do it once per map, and won't be so many maps to justify this method. If you knew a guideline for this type of tiles, It would be great because I'd just needed to use my graphics and follow all the joints.

Thanks!

• I see.

The main points are:

1. Horizontal, vertical, and 45 degree angle transitions (for which you need two tiles for each 45 degree angle, since they have to cross the boundary in the middle)

Like this:

_________.__

|____ |____ |

|__.__|____ |

(if that shows up right). Your angle goes from one period to the other (the bottom center of the left tile to the top center of the right tile).

You have four sets like that, and then your normal horizontal and vertical tiles. 12 tiles total for the transitions.

2. Make the tiles small. The smaller they are, the smoother your curves by mixing different kinds of edges.

3. Make the transitions as chaotic as possible (lots of grass or dirt "noise" overlapping the transition), which hides the fact that you only have straight and 45 degree angles.

4. Mix and match random alt-tiles in order to hide the repetition in the chaotic tiles.

• MVG

Thanks a lot. I'll work on it when I have time again to focus on it. XD

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)