How do I create randomly generate dungeons

0 favourites
  • 14 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • I'm looking for a simple [SIMPLE] way of creating random dugeons

• Well the easiest way I found was making an Array, but the hard part is learning how to use an Array :/

Subscribe to Construct videos now
  • I know that just wondering if there a super easy way

• The in Construct2 way which would be easy in the sense you wouldn't need an array would be to--

Use groups--

Have global variables. Random1=0 R2=0 R3=0 (more if you need them)

In those groups--

Map out set of square sprites equally to a tile set or map.

S1, S2, S3, etc.

Then Load a tile map as a sprite sheet.

Pick Spawn Object--

When the player does something, this will add to the Global Variables. The Global Variables will effect the Spawn Sprites (s1,s2, etc). This should create random dungeons.

Also note-- you can set the collisions on the tile map sprite set.

In your event sheet. Set the conditions for each spawn point--

Examples

If R1<2 R2=4 R3>12, then load SpriteBackground to S3 at animation 43

If R1=10 R2=50 R3>40, then load SpriteBackground to S3 at animation 23

You can find a free tile set here, but give credit to whose you use--

http://opengameart.org/

This will also take hours to a day depending on how many tiles and how larger you map will be. The bigger the map, the more time.

I know because since I'm learning arrays, I've developed this method as an alternative for a game jam. I've gotten better at groups, but after this jam going to study arrays more.

I have only three Spawn Sprites and three Graphics. I would suggest making larger interchangeable set pieces and less of a Zelda with this method.

Cheers

• I just did video on random terrain generator, Im sure you could use something like this to achieve your goal. http://makegamesacc.blogspot.com

• tonW lol I randomly found your video before you posted it

• Well the easiest way I found was making an Array, but the hard part is learning how to use an Array :/

Subscribe to Construct videos now

Hi BurningWood, thanks for sharing the video. Maybe you know how that guy, created the hydrostatic pressure example... Or even the wave effect (in the end of the clip)?

• declan007

GREAT!! seo at its finest! lol

• TonyW I gave the vid a like and a comment. Thanks, I'll take a look at it later.

Nagval333 I'm only on text based arrays at the moment. The video helped me realize what I can do with them eventually hopefully. I didn't ask him for a tut, but if you leave a comment or respond on his twitter he may reply. I got a response from him with a week, but I didn't ask any array questions.

• TonyW I gave the vid a like and a comment. Thanks, I'll take a look at it later.

Nagval333 I'm only on text based arrays at the moment. The video helped me realize what I can do with them eventually hopefully. I didn't ask him for a tut, but if you leave a comment or respond on his twitter he may reply. I got a response from him with a week, but I didn't ask any array questions.

• TonyW I get it, but would this method work for a Zelda type gird? I suppose it could with sprites grided. Any thoughts on how to create a Zelda like game?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The video you shared with the guy using arrays to do a similar game design.. is perfect for a Zelda style game.

I have not used them myself ... but it looks like the way to go.

I would be curious to see what you come up with.

good luck.

• Having stolen an idea by CrudeMik ...

very simple maze "start" - please post any improvements you make.

https://goo.gl/7XePdJ

• RamPackWobble - nice!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)