How do I have a create Gameboy res for ios, etc.

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
From the Asset Store
Fully commented source code/event sheet & sprites to create a space shooter game
  • How do I create a universal resolution that would emulate a classic Gameboy game?

What resolution or overall size (px by px) could I set the backdrop?

My concern is in my background design resolutions. Right now the entire game loads like classic Donkey Kong, entire level is visible because I want to be sure what the graphics will look like. However, can I load games at lower resolution; thus increasing the size of the character and hiding parts of the larger level without blurs or ratio problems on different devices.

This game Jam got me thinking? "Keep in the original GameBoy screen resolution of 160px x 144px" (2)

Meaning, I would want to use this resolution but have a character in a "Meteoroid" or "Kid Icarus" like design move along the larger level keeping a screen ratio that would enlarge the 160px x 144px on ios, pc, Andriod, etc.

Currently I'm working with the IPhone six plus resolution-- "iPhone 6 Plus includes a 5.5-inch 1920x1080 (1080p) display (401 PPI)." I based this on a prior post (1) I'm using pixel graphics so ideally the images should be able to get bigger and keep a lot of the detail and vice versa if made smaller. My background art resolution is set to 1920x1080 at a dpi of 100. It this a good setting? Or, would I have to create a larger background for the player explore? Example: 9000x9000 for a world for a player to explore on a 1920x1080 screen. Or, have a

enlarged 160px x 144px screen area exploring something like 1000 x1000 world?

Wronghands - GPUs are so extremely efficiently designed for simple 2D drawing that I don't think you'll actually see much or even any runtime performance hit from using bigger textures. If you read our old blog post HTML5 gaming performance analysis, you'll note at least on desktop it takes longer to request the GPU to draw an image than it takes for the GPU to actually draw it, which means you can do a lot of scaling and rotating with zero performance impact. So memory usage/download size is the only issue.

As for Chrome and Facebook, since desktop displays go up to 1920x1080 which is only a little less than the iPad 3, it should be ideal for that as well.

Work cited--

(1) a-thought-on-mobile-image-resolutions_t68937

(2) http://jams.gamejolt.io/gbjam3

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)