How do I create background timers on apps?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Background Story generation templates. See the Arcade demo.
  • I need to create a simple 24 hour or so background timer that runs when the app (android and ios) is not running, is there a simple way to do this with or better yet; without the use of a web host server?

A feature similar to MMORPG app games like Clash of Clans when building/upgrading buildings is the goal.

I have been trying these event references from "stctr":

User connection disconnects -> register server date 22/10/2015 12:55 as time for user xxx

User connection connects -> register server date 23/10/2015 13:33 as time2 for user xxx

Compare time & time2.

Your answer.

But so far am really confused with which objects and plugins to use and how to implement the server.

Thanks for all your time and help!

• You can't do it without a web server. Also, we are already way ahead of you building exactly such a game. (See our website in my signature)

• You can't do it without a web server. Also, we are already way ahead of you building exactly such a game. (See our website in my signature)

Awesome game with good potential; FATE. You didn't make this game with Construct 2 (I assume). What program was used to create it?

and How would you implement the background timer in Construct 2 like how this post had asked?

-question was not answered in your reply post....

• The front end (the screenshots only show the front end) is completely in Construct2 and the back-end is in Java.

For a pure Construct timer, I would use rexrainbow 's Date plugin.

However, keep in mind that anyone can change the date and time produced by this plugin simply by fiddling with their system clock, since it draws from the local system time clock. If you want a timer that cannot be tampered with, you must use a server.

• The front end (the screenshots only show the front end) is completely in Construct2 and the back-end is in Java.

For a pure Construct timer, I would use rexrainbow 's Date plugin.

However, keep in mind that anyone can change the date and time produced by this plugin simply by fiddling with their system clock, since it draws from the local system time clock. If you want a timer that cannot be tampered with, you must use a server.

Awesome, I hope to form a group and build bigger projects like FATE in the future.

Thanks for the insight!

I will try rex_date plugin but is there a plugin or way to implement one that cannot be tampered with?

Thanks for your help!

• Well, if you are available, we are looking for people to fill out our team still. Obviously, we can't pay you yet, but we are closing on Alpha 1 which will mark the launch of our Kickstarter and some working capital. Feel free to send me a PM and we can discuss further.

To answer your question, no, it is not possible to use anything on the client side (anything in Construct 2) that cannot be tampered with, since all of it resides on the user's computer.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • To answer your question, no, it is not possible to use anything on the client side (anything in Construct 2) that cannot be tampered with, since all of it resides on the user's computer.

Is there a plugin or method with the use of a web server?

• I'll explain further in our private communications.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)