How do I Copy game asset inside the editor?

0 favourites
  • 13 posts
From the Asset Store
94 Inside buildings views - Isometric view - PNG transparent - 2048x2048
  • all i need is to make a simple copy of something inside the editor. Not a clone. Maybe i am doing it wrong way , i dont know, but if i want the same looking object to be coppied i need to import it again. No other way? Thank you

• You must be doing something wrong - what do you mean "if i want the same looking object to be coppied i need to import it again" - does it look different when you copy and paste? The simplest way to make regular copies is just hold Ctrl and drag the original object.

• But if i ctrl drag it makes instance , and if i want something to dissapear , the instance dissapear as well, :-/

• What do you mean by disappear? If that's at runtime then your events must be wrong. Do provide more information, we cannot see into your screen and guess what you are doing.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • will do, later on, got to go to work. Thanks

• Hey ex32,

I may be misinterpreting the question, but there are two main ways an object can be copied.

Duplicate instance

Select an object instance in the layout, type Ctrl + C to copy the instance, and then Ctrl + V and click to paste the instance.

This results in a new instance, which will be affected by the same events that affected the old instance.

Duplicate object

Right-click an object instance in the layout, from the context menu that pops up, choose "Clone object type", and click to place the first instance of the new object.

This results in an instance of a new object, which will not be affected by the events that affected the old instance you initially right-clicked.

• fisholith. You just made my day. Clone object type is what i needed.

• Awesome! Glad to help out.

• ...................... never mind i wrote a stupidity

• In a way C2 may be muddying the waters by it's definition that a "copy" is the same object, while a "clone" is a new object with the same base parameters. But I guess they went with it so people who "just want to copy and paste" don't make a million new objects in the process.

• I could be wrong, but I think, in C2 terms, the items that get placed on a layout are "instances" of an object type. So if you copy an instance of an object, you get another instance of that same object type.

• I could be wrong, but I think, in C2 terms, the items that get placed on a layout are "instances" of an object type. So if you copy an instance of an object, you get another instance of that same object type.

Absolutely, it makes perfect sense from C2's standpoint, it's just that in most other apps copies are usually separate objects and you have to pick a different option (clone, for example) to make instances. Hence my comment.

I'm quite impressed with your post-to-post adherence to neat formatting, btw

• Ah, I see what you mean.

And also, thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)