How do I combine layouts?

0 favourites
  • 12 posts
  • Alright, new to the software and game design so be patient with me. I'll do my best to explain this without causing additional confusion.

So...I'm following a YouTube tutorial. I am using the Gamelayout and eventsheet fine. I then download an asset pack for a tile background. But, I decide to add a new layout tab (page) and paint the tiles on the new layout, thinking I can combine the hero and the enemies over the painted background.

Apparently, I'm having a hard time understanding how the layers work because I can't get them all visible on the same page, even with adding layers and moving the layers up and down AND assigning the "characters" to different layers.

Do I have to create a new eventsheet because I added a new layout?

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I didn't really understand the layers problem but basically each layout can be linked to an event sheet so both layouts can be linked to the same event sheet in their layout properties bar.

• Thanks for the response Lionz, but I didn't do a event sheet for the tile map. I just did a new layout. Still lost I'm afraid

• I still don't understand the problem though. The characters are not moving in front of the tiled background?

• Basically yes. That is the problem. I can't even get the players and enemies to appear over the tile map

• Ah ok the tilemap. Just put it on a layer that is lower. The layers bar has a hierarchy like you would see in photoshop. Put the tilemap on a lower layer and the characters on the higher layer. If you are using spawn events for the units then make sure its not spawning at layer 0 which would be the lowest and instead pick the correct layer.

• Ah ok the tilemap. Just put it on a layer that is lower. The layers bar has a hierarchy like you would see in photoshop. Put the tilemap on a lower layer and the characters on the higher layer. If you are using spawn events for the units then make sure its not spawning at layer 0 which would be the lowest and instead pick the correct layer.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Unfortunately, I'm still having problems, so I decided to record a one minute screen capture. My microphone isn't working, so I suggest you mute the sound before playing the video otherwise you will hear a lot of annoying static. Please see if you can spot the problem.

https://youtu.be/X4ttOquW7Hc

• Fixed it. I didn't know you could just click and drag a layer up into the order you want...

Well, thanks for your help.

• I still couldn't work out the issue in the video haha but glad it's resolved

• I still couldn't work out the issue in the video haha but glad it's resolved

I just figured out you're the developer of Small Saga. What is going on with the game? Is it ever going to see the light of day? I'm sincerely looking forward to playing that game.

• That's not me though I did originally pledge to that on kickstarter :)

• My mistake

😇

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)