How do I make a character selection screen?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
Selection frame like in RTS games, works both on mobile and desktop devices.
  • Hello everyone!

I'm trying to make character selection screen where I can use two arrows buttons to scroll through different playable characters(sprite objects), and then have another button that scrolls through the different color variants for each character.

I initially thought that using an array would work best for this; I'd store the UIDs for the different characters along the X, and then the different color options along the Y. I made instance variables for X and Y in the array that change as I hit my 3 buttons. Then using those XY coordinate I set my global variable to the selected character UID. After this things got a lot more complicated, and my code gets horribly repetitive and cumbersome, and it seems to work as long as I stay in my menu layout. When I try to switch from my menu layout to my game play layout, things don't carry over well because of the different UIDS. I feel like my problem would be solved if I could store my object name in the array, but as far as I can tell, that isn't possible.

Long story short: How do I make a non-cumbersome character selection screen? Is it possible code one elegantly?

Any advice is a appreciated, thank you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi Rennoc,

Maybe this simple tutorial for character selection can help you approach what you want:

Good luck!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)