How do I change jump speed without affecting jump height?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
In this template the music plays without looping in your game
  • I want my jumps and falls to feel a bit "floaty" without affecting my jump height. Which attributes in the Platform behavior should I mess with?

My levels are all laid out and I'd hate to go back and fix a ton of jumps. Making a basic platformer.

I'm asking because I'm at work and not in front of C2 right now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You have to manage changing 3 parameters. Jump Strength, Gravity and Max fall Speed.

If you already done your work and want to change them to match the same platform but want to slow down the jump, you can use math to calculate you new speeds.

For example, If you already have these parameters as following:

Jump strength = 650

Gravity = 1500

Max fall Speed = 1000

And want to slow the jump into half of the original speed, you can re-calculate them as following:

Jump speed = 650/2 = 325

Gravity = 1500/(2^2) = 375

Max fall Speed = 1000/2 =500

If you want to reduce into the quarter of the original speed. It will be as following:

Jump speed = 650/4 = 162.5

Gravity = 1500/(4^2) = 93.75

Max fall Speed = 1000/3 =250

Hope this will help you.

• hey i have also a sprite who is jumping using platform behaviour, i need this, when the player hit a special bonus his "actual" jump movement is accelerated for just that moment, how to achieve that?

• Use these formulas:

Jump speed = 650*X

Gravity = 1500*(X^2)

Max fall Speed = 1000*X

If you want to accelerate replace X with number of acceleration greater than 1 (example 2,3,4... etc) and if you want to decelerate it use number as a fraction (less than 1 and greater than 0) (example 0.1 ,0.2 ,0.3 ......etc).

• Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

• You have to manage changing 3 parameters. Jump Strength, Gravity and Max fall Speed.

If you already done your work and want to change them to match the same platform but want to slow down the jump, you can use math to calculate you new speeds.

For example, If you already have these parameters as following:

Jump strength = 650

Gravity = 1500

Max fall Speed = 1000

And want to slow the jump into half of the original speed, you can re-calculate them as following:

Jump speed = 650/2 = 630

Gravity = 1500/(2^2) = 375

Max fall Speed = 1000/2 =500

If you want to reduce into the quarter of the original speed. It will be as following:

Jump speed = 650/4 = 162.5

Gravity = 1500/(4^2) = 93.75

Max fall Speed = 1000/3 =250

Hope this will help you.

Thanks for the help! But either I'm not understanding this correctly or are your maths off?

Because for 650/2, I'm getting 325.

• You are welcome my dear

• Thanks for the help! But either I'm not understanding this correctly or are your maths off?

Because for 650/2, I'm getting 325.

Sorry ... I just mistype it. It is 325 not 630.

I just fixed it. Thanks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)