How do I call a dictionary by calling its key as global var?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Globals 2.0
$3.99 USD
Globals 2.0 stores and group variables. You can also load and save data (variables) from/to JSON files.
  • So I have a dictionary for each level and the level's name. For example, key 0 has a value of "Jungle," key 1 has a value of "Castle," etc. I want to display both of these things in a textbox on-screen, so I use this:

(LevelNumber is a global variable)

For textbox, set text to:

"Level" & LevelNumber & "-" & dictLevels.Get("LevelNumber")

This works fine except that the "Get" portion just returns 0 (because there is no key with the name "LevelNumber," I understand this part). I want the "Get" value to choose the value for the key that is currently equal to the global variable LevelNumber, but because the key is a string, I'm having trouble figuring out if there is a way using str() or int() to get this done.

Long story short, when it's Level 3, for example, the global var "LevelNumber" will always be 3, and I want the text to "Get" the value for Key entry #3 and display that too.

Thank you!

• As long as the key is "3", then str(LevelNumber) should work.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • OK, that should be good to go, but I now think the true problem lies with importing the dictionary from a JSON string. I'm having trouble successfully loading the dictionary. As other threads have concluded, "Load from JSON string" requires double quotes.

This topic in particular:

The dictionary string is currently entered like this (this is exactly how it is written into the dialogue box for "Parameters for dictLevelNames: Load")

"

{""c2dictionary"":true,""data"":

{

""0"":""zero"",

""1"":""one"",

""2"":""Tower",

""3"":""Cave""

}

}

"

but when I check the dictionary in Debug, it still shows as having 0 keys and being empty.

• [quote:3q53lt20]this is exactly how it is written

""2"" : ""Tower",

""2"" : ""Tower"",

• Ah-ha! Well, I'm sorry to have taken your time, but it's finally working. I could swear that second " was there the whole time. Anyway, thank you!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)