Building large world. Every screen its own layout?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Isometric Stategy Roleplay Game Building and Streets Pack.
  • I'm attempting to build a geographically large gameworld, along the lines of 16 bit Zelda. Some areas of the world will be top-down (think Zelda), others side-scrolling (think Super Mario). Fairly simple gameplay, but it's a non-linear world that you can go back and forth between any part of. Every 'screen' of the gameworld is roughly one computer screen in size. My plan is that once I've got the basic structure laid out, I'll plug in basic metroidvania / zelda packs from the Asset Store and focus on worldbuilding and get a 'rough draft' of the world built out, then come back and tweak/improve the gameplay down the line.

My current plan is to use Photon Cloud to make it so that you've got realtime multiplayer interaction with whoever's on the same screen as you. Not sure if that's relevant or not for the question I'm asking.

What I'm wondering is -- should every screen of my game world be its own layout? Without knowing C2 well, my natural inclination is to say 'yes', especially since the gameplay of any given screen (sidescrolling vs top-down) may be different from the ones adjacent to it, and with each screen having its own NPCs, enemies, interactions, etc., it might get very crowded very quickly to have an entire game's worth of things in one single layout.

But I'm not sure if that's the 'correct' or 'proper' way to structure things in C2.

Thoughts/advice?

• I agree, different layout for each 'part' of the land. Trying to do a huge map with just one layout will cause you to spend ages looking for things.

The only problem I see is that the other player would also need to start that next layout at the same time as you start it, meaning you might need to auto end their game and transport them to the next level without them completing that layout.

Good luck.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I agree, different layout for each 'part' of the land. Trying to do a huge map with just one layout will cause you to spend ages looking for things.

The only problem I see is that the other player would also need to start that next layout at the same time as you start it, meaning you might need to auto end their game and transport them to the next level without them completing that layout.

Good luck.

See, that can't work, though -- this is meant to be a free-roaming world. People can be in whichever part of it they choose, at whichever time they want.

I thought Photon just did 'rooms'? So it doesn't matter if Players A, B, and C enter and leave a certain section of the game world at different times, the room just stays open as long as people are in it?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)