How do I make breakout brick patterns dynamically

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality sound effect pack, in the following categories: Click, Whoosh, Breaking
  • Hi,

I'm working on a breakout style mobile game that will have at least 20 levels. So, that means 20 levels of different brick patterns to layout in a grid. I can make a layout for each level and hand-place the brick pattern, or I'm guessing I could use some code to do the grunt work.

Questions:

1. Would it even save on app size/performance to do it dynamically?

2. What would be the best way to do it dynamically? I've looked at Rex's csv2array plugin and kind of think that would work, but not being a coder, I'm not sure.

Here's a pic of what I mean if the question is confusing. Thanks for any help.

Performance is likely not an issue with this. C2 is already very fast at loading layouts, and loading would be the only thing affected. Size may be a bit smaller depending how you store it, but it will be pretty negligible especially with only 20 levels.

You could do that, or use one of the array editors on the forum to get a json string to load in an array... There's lots of ways to do it, and not really any best way.

Your example isn't the best reason to make your own level format to load. Layouts with objects placed with a snap to grid is perfect for a thing like that. But then again how many blocks are you talking?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the advice and example! If i'm not gaining any noticible performance or decrease in app size, then snapping to grid the levels seems best for me.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)