How do I Make Big Map games

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple Map Editor that where you can edit a map with restriction or totally. You can save and load the map created.
  • I was trying to make game which has few levels but each has 2d patform width more than 3000px

i tried to set up 15000px layout (width)

i tried to call a sprite image of 3000px width(which act as ground or platform) but got error, maximum size of image should be 2048px.

second problem might be the game will consume lots of space and possibly memory to as i am going to implement some more images.

For example

Earn to Die

Toss the turtle

In both of the game the have have pretty big game play area. however in toss the there is a possibility of repeated background but that not what i am looking for.

I hope most of you people have played both games on flash.

so my question is

if i want to make a big platform game, what should be the most efficient way to do so?

Thanks for reading

• Make Multiple Layouts (Multiple Levels Could Be Anouther Way or Use teleports to go to the 2nd part of the map Using layouts) Hope I helped

• Make Multiple Layouts (Multiple Levels Could Be Anouther Way or Use teleports to go to the 2nd part of the map Using layouts) Hope I helped

I have updated my question with reference hope it helps more to understand my question.

• I'm trying to do something like that too... but html5 doesn't help much..

For example, my pc doesn't open a .capx with a very large layout. A resolution like 20k x 20k just crash everything.

I think something like that can't be done for now. *my opinion. I tried, but got nothing*

Good luck.

• Try cutting all your backgrounds into smaller images, or use tiled background if you are always using the same background repeating over and over.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Try cutting all your backgrounds into smaller images, or use tiled background if you are always using the same background repeating over and over.

I can use background repetitive, but what about ground on which players and enemies are going to spawn and walk. It's going to be different terrain at least for each 100px!

• This is tricky and I don't think I can really help you, but I think I know what you mean. Maybe look at those C2 examples "Infinite Runner" for ideas. Sorry I can't help anymore...

• Prevent using huge images for background.

Use smaller images with a tiling approach, either by tilemap, or manual sprite placements supported with snap to grid.

For the latter, I make sure the images do not become too small, which could result in having 1000s of images on the layout for only the background.

For example, I tend to make my manual placed tiles like 500x250, and use snap to grid 125x125, giving me an good working solution for isometric tiling over a huge layout.

You could ofc just use 512x512 images and have snap to grid work on 512x512 to get the background of the layout sorted.

Or use bigger images in the tilemap editor with a higher grid size.

Hope that helps.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)