Is there a better method for importing sprite sheets?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • Hi, I have a series of sprite sheets that are saved as whole character sets, so basically one sheet per character type. Each horizontal cell represents one animation type, moving down vertically to separate and easily recognise different animations. This is how I was taught to organise my frames and is what I would generally call the 'standard' method for organising sprite sheets before passing them onto the poor soul who has to import them.

Anyway, as I'm going solo for a side project, that job falls to me. And as I'm using Construct 2 for the first time, I'm wondering if I haven't missed something because, honestly, the current method that I'm using to import animations from sprite sheets is pretty inefficient.

I'm right clicking in the animation panel at the bottom of the editor and selecting 'import from sprite sheet'. This imports every cell in the sprite sheet which then requires that I delete the unnecessary ones.

The more animation cycles a character has in the sheet, the longer this process takes. Made more frustrating by the fact that ctrl+z won't undelete an accidentally deleted cell and C2 doesn't remember the cell height and width from a sprite sheet so that information has to be reentered on each iteration.

What I hoped to do was just import all cells into the 'default' animation, highlight then move the selected cells to the appropriate animation. Unfortunately, it seems you can only copy one cell at a time, and you can't drag cells into different animation cycles.

I checked out C3 to see if they made the process any better, but apparently not.

Anyway, if anyone has tips on how to make this process more efficient, I'm all ears.

Cheers

• This has been argued a lot in the past, and scirra did not do enough to improve it. I feel that importing and managing spritesheets is one of the worst things about construct.

You also forgot to mention that you have to recreate the collision polygons and image points when you reimport them.

And, they won't be adding any new features to C2 now, anyways.

They may have reasons why they don't want to improve/change it, but that doesn't change the fact that the current way sucks and is inefficient.

• This is a slightly better way:

You import all the spritesheet in the default animation.

Then you duplicate the default animation as many times as there are animations in sheet.

Then for each animation you delete the frames not belonging to it.

Hope that helps.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Whenever I need to export many sprites like this, I use either Piskel (it just splits them by segments) or a program which for the life of me I can't remember.

Using Piskel, you can load the spritesheet and then export it as a .zip file which contains all the images in sequence.

Keep in mind if you use this method, you should not have any sectors of the spritesheet empty, since any that are will be automatically deleted by Piskel.

I never use it, but I guess you could load the entire spritesheet into one animation using C2 and then save as a project; then you could load in the other animations using the files saved in your project and later delete the first animation.

• This is a slightly better way:

You import all the spritesheet in the default animation.

Then you duplicate the default animation as many times as there are animations in sheet.

Then for each animation you delete the frames not belonging to it.

Hope that helps.

That's a good tip, I'll have to remember that one.

Thanks

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)