How do I animate a character climbing left or right?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Video intro templates for games and game making with Construct 3 made with Animate
  • Hi there, can not believe how much I have learnt on this forum already ... thank you all so much ... however I can not seem to solve this doozy!

I am using this tutorial for ladding climbing ...

https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/591/a- ... latformers

And the up and down are working without any problems at all. However, for larger ladders or cargo nets I would like the player to run through the climbing animation even if they are moving left or right. At the moment, the animation stops completely when I move left or right whilst on a 'ladder'

Here is my movement setup ...

And here is the events pertaining to the ladder

Up and down are working without any problems, and the movement left and right is fine too. It's just the "climb" animation won't play when I move left or right when overlapping a 'ladder'

Many thanks!

• Exchange all "play from current frame" actions to 'play from beginning' and set to looping.

• , thank you! That solves that issue slightly ... unfortunately now when the player reaches the bottom of the ladder (when they are on the floor) they are still overlapping it and as such it doesn't animate the run. Could I PM you?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • , thank you! That solves that issue slightly ... unfortunately now when the player reaches the bottom of the ladder (when they are on the floor) they are still overlapping it and as such it doesn't animate the run. Could I PM you?

You probably forgot to enable platformer behavior.

Simply put a censor sprite at the end of the ladder that enables it.

• The way I solve it is to use a blank collision sprite over the ladder instead of the ladder itself.

Put your collison sprite just over the players head so when they reach a ladder they can choose to ignore it and keep running or jump and collide with the ladder to start climbing.

That is also useful if you want the player to be able to jump or mover from the laddder before reaching the top as you can check to see if they are overlapping that blank sprite and if not they can be released to do some other movement.

• lamar ... genius! This solved it perfectly!

Thank you to both lamar and

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)