How do I add Expansion/DLC content to a Steam game

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Vintage steam pixels for your UI! 125 unique assets in a single pack!
  • I searched the forum and didn't find any specific answer to that question.

Here is the situation: I have a game running on Steam. I want to sell an "Expansion pack" with more levels, enemies and characters. How do I do this?

I saw the SteamC2 plugin identifies if the player bought a DLC, but I didn't find how to actually make the DLC.

Is the expasion a new file or project that somehow connects to the previous one? Is it just a code that unlocks access to the new content after an update (If so, isn't that easily hackable?)? Something else?

Anyone here has experience with that?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • jmberaldo

My experience with DLC on Steam is from a different engine.

Easiest way is to include the additional content within the base game, and enable it after checking DLC has been purchased.

It might be hackable, but less so than an easily copyable new file, and I'm not sure there really is a non-hackable option.

Obscurity is a bigger danger to a games success than hacking/piracy anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• No experience yet, but my idea is to create a DLC that overwrites the base game when purchased. The DLC will include the base game plus the new content embedded into it... might it work??

• bkdove you should start a new thread if you are trying to figure that out.

By far the simplest solution would be to use the save state, and just overwrite a layout with json.

construct.net/en/tutorials/how-to-make-savegames-11

• jmberaldo

My experience with DLC on Steam is from a different engine.

Easiest way is to include the additional content within the base game, and enable it after checking DLC has been purchased.

It might be hackable, but less so than an easily copyable new file, and I'm not sure there really is a non-hackable option.

Obscurity is a bigger danger to a games success than hacking/piracy anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

but that's anti consumer at it's limit, I don't think it's too great of a solution

• > jmberaldo

>

> My experience with DLC on Steam is from a different engine.

>

> Easiest way is to include the additional content within the base game, and enable it after checking DLC has been purchased.

>

> It might be hackable, but less so than an easily copyable new file, and I'm not sure there really is a non-hackable option.

>

> Obscurity is a bigger danger to a games success than hacking/piracy anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

but that's anti consumer at it's limit, I don't think it's too great of a solution

How is that anti consumer? Or are you saying all DLC is anti consumer?

You've got to get the DLC content to work with the base game somehow, you're either going to have to overwrite files or put it somewhere the base game can access, so why not add it in an update to the base game but only accessible to those who buy the DLC.

A benefit of doing it this way is that in a multiplayer game you are able to show the content to all players not just those with the DLC, so everyone will know you bought the Shiny Hat DLC.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)