How do I make 2.5 Space shooter like Space Harrier?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Template for a bubble shooter, fully documented in comments and video
  • Hello,

I was searching trough forums for example of 2.5D space shooter and nothing really came up. I'm just asking is it even possible to create something like that. If somebody has example for old Construct 2 engine or how just perspective of incoming sprite works and where to draw it I would be thankful.

Thanks in advance.

• This answer is gonna be a bad idea. It's how you do it in a 2d engine, but its a bad idea and you should just consider one of the countless 2d/3d engines out there for it. That being said, you can work around it and make this happen, and here is how:

Take each 3d model, into a rendering program; I use Bryce cuz I'm old lol but there are countless options. Make an animation of the object rotating 360 degrees in one second, and set the frame rate to 360. Set the camera at the angle you want the camera to "feel" like its holding. Then render it to an AVI.

Next use one of many avi converters (I use AVI2BMP) to convert the animation into its individual frames.

Import the frames to your sprite, set the animation speed to 0, and create an event that sets the animation frame to floor(sprites angle).

You'll need to do this for like... every single model, and need to keep the lighting orientation and camera orientation the same between every rendering, or things will "feel" off with the lighting.

I hope this helps :-) Im clearing the unanswered topics until mine gets answered lol, I'm desperate.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Best for the rendering camera angle to be top-down.

• Best for the rendering camera angle to be top-down.

I was asking about perspective. Perhaps wasn't clear, sorry. I kinda familiar with Wolf3D trickery on C2 it's just handling Y axis on screen X,Z are handled in engine fine but about Y it's mystery. For example there are 192 levels of Y and in distance sprite should't be in same Y as if it was close to camera so Space Harier is good example for scaling what I want.

• I was going to say you need to look into Mode7,

but I see you have commented on threads about that already. There is no easier option that I know of.

• I was going to say you need to look into Mode7,

but I see you have commented on threads about that already. There is no easier option that I know of.

Yea it looks like it's only option. Anyway I figure out stuff on Y axis movement using animations not the prettiest solution but does trick. Now just need figure out AI and maybe how Boss should work.

Did using Stolfenstein3D not great but not bad.

• More like Operation Wolf rather than Space Harrier, but I have sprites coming closer to the players + zoom effect in my template:

construct.net/en/game-assets/game-templates/fps-rails-template-363

You can try it on the arcade too:

construct.net/en/free-online-games/test-demo-fps-rails-template-4963/play

It works without third party plugins.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)