Why do PINNED SOLID Object stop being SOLID on collision

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hi Everyone,

There is something I really don't understand and it is very inconsistent for me.

I set the pinned and solid behavior to an object. I pinned it to the player's sprite.

The player is also solid and capable of moving.

In the attached capx, the player is stopped by the black tilebackground that is solid, but none

of the pinned red circles behind him. all red circles are SOLID. But they all go through the black tilebackground.

Can somebody explain to me why this happens? Is it a bug? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for your reply.

File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22785599/Scirra/Problem-Solid-Pined-object.capx

• Without looking, I'd first say that the pinned objects are being re-positioned to wherever the player is. If the red objects contact the solid object, it doesn't tell the player to stop moving, so the player will continue to move and reposition all the pinned objects, even if they end up overlapping other solid objects.

You could try moving the red objects out of the solid object if overlapping, and also move the player in the same direction. I think the custom movement behavior allows you to push objects out of solids. You could try adding that to the red objects and pushing them out/moving player based on pre and post position of the object being pushed out.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • (Ninja'd)

The problem is you have conflicting behaviours. Solid is saying "don't move over a certain object", and Pin is saying " ALWAYS move relative to the parent". You can't have it both ways - something has to give. So it seems Pin trumps Solid. It's not clear what you would expect to happen. Do the Blobs stop moving or do they stop the player from moving. The last won't happen as the Pin mechanism is one way. Player affects Blob, but Blob does not affect Player.

People keep trying to use behaviours with Physics, but Physics doesn't behave well with any other behaviour, in general.

• Hi blackhornet, If you checked the capx file attached, you will see that I didn't used the physics behavior. It is only the 8 Directions, pin behavior and solid.

Solid is saying "don't move over a certain object", and Pin is saying " ALWAYS move relative to the parent". You can't have it both ways - something has to give. So it seems Pin trumps Solid.

Maybe you are right, the two behavior cannot affect each other.

It's not clear what you would expect to happen. Do the Blobs stop moving or do they stop the player from moving. The last won't happen as the Pin mechanism is one way. Player affects Blob, but Blob does not affect Player.

I want the Player to stop moving if one of the blob is stuck by the collision on solid elements.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)