Why is the Multiplayer Lag compensation limited only to a single peer object?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • The multiplayer plugin has expressions used to compensate lag for the x,y,angle of a single peer object that is associated with a player.

However, this is bad design because it doesn't allow lag compensation for instance variables of other objects. The multiplayer plugin forces you to use one object for the movement/angle mechanics. What if you have two angles the player aims with, or controls two positions? or controls more than one object?.. There is no way to compensate for more than one x,y,angle. Only one object with its x,y,angle seems to be recorded to do lag compensation.

This suggests that you can only compensate relative to other associated peer objects.. So you can't for instance compensate for projectiles if for instance you want to shoot down a moving object that isn't a player. The player- when shooting, wouldn't be able to find the compensated position of the object by the host because the expression can only check the associated peer objects that represent players.

Am I mistaken? Is there ability to compensate for other instance variables, positions, angles, objects?? Seems like a big oversight to me.

• I cant answer your question but but i can say.

For the love of sanity use the photon cloud multiplayer plugin.

Its a breese to work with and flawless performance because of the photon servers.

So easy to program as well.

Anyway good luck

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > I cant answer your question but but i can say.

> For the love of sanity use the photon cloud multiplayer plugin.

> Its a breese to work with and flawless performance because of the photon servers.

> So easy to program as well.

>

> Anyway good luck

Don't listen to this foolish drivel

It was made to be easy to use, and the lest confusing as possible because this engine is built to be easy to understand for newcomers. Once you have gained more experience with game development and construct and you're familiar with how events work you could make your own lag compensation by storing player variables in an array and flush old entries when you add new one with push and pop, it's not up to scirra to add every single possible option when you can build your own with their event system.

Also photon doesn't support this whatsoever.

thanks- I hadn't considered storing that stuff manually, but I suppose that would work. I haven't created a multiplayer game before, and the multiplayer plugin seems pretty simple which is why I'm still going to use it.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)