What's Next?

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
  • So...it's been a long time since the last construct update -- almost 4 weeks . In the past, those big delays often preceed some exciting new features.

What do you think is coming up?

• The delay is because of holidays.

• While I agree with Arima that the big reason the hold off is due to the holidays. I think r200 is going to be some form modularity.

• While I agree with Arima that the big reason the hold off is due to the holidays. I think r200 is going to be some form modularity.

How do you expect modularity to work?

• Whoops, guess I was out of the loop.

Modularity would be great, though I'd like to see search get an overhaul. Search multiple sheets? Highlight instances? Regex searching? Yes please...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Modularity, it's a massive feature but honestly it's really hard to think of stuff C2 can't do... It's less of a "What's next?" and more "What's left?"

In an ideal world, maybe a visual interface for arrays.

EDIT//

TiAm - it'd be great if we could select an object and have a "see all events associated with" option.

• megatronx

Import/export capx file into project, to reuse capx more easily.

• it'd be great if we could select an object and have a "see all events associated with" option.

megatronx

Import/export capx file into project, to reuse capx more easily.

So, kind of like a merge feature?

• Adding to modularity, I think a built-in search for code examples you can just drag and drop into your project sort of thing would be really cool.

• The best way for modularity to work is for CAPX to be packed into forms that reflect Plugins and Behaviours. Importing exporting isn't ideal as large changes and updates to CAPX as libs.

The CAPX would have Functions and Variabls that could be hidden or exposed. Maybe "global" would be accessible for the object and sub vars hidden. Root functions could be Object associated while group sub functions are private.

However I'm only speculating that r200 is modularity. But all the other major points on the road map are released. The asset store is on the way. r200 is a major mile stone that's coming on us soon. C2 would require architect changes. Starting at r175 is a good time for this.

• I imagine modularity working in much the same way as Unreal's Blueprints. Ie: create a standalone object or collection of objects that can be dropped into any project, with all its own inputs and outputs, that can be used by other blueprints or the project as a whole. Ideally, these modules would be isolated from the main project to avoid event sheet bloat, in much the same way as a PSB Smart Object can be implanted into a Photoshop document and edited separately without getting in the way of the main document.

This would massively improve the way that C2 is used, and would go very well with the new asset store.

• it's probably not going to sell more licenses, but I would love to see enhancements to the IDE for larger projects. an expanded search is just a start, my favourite would be to find instances where objects/functions are used across multiple event sheets and layouts. this one is my big issue at the moment as it would allow for safe deletion of objects rather than just hoping you caught every instance.

• Modularity, it's a massive feature but honestly it's really hard to think of stuff C2 can't do... It's less of a "What's next?" and more "What's left?"

Wow seriously? You guys lack imagination

I don't mean this personally , it's just that I've been seeing a lot of people espousing this exact view here. I know you're just praising construct, but hey, here goes a list of ideas:

• Modularity
    • Improvements to the SDK (more edittime controls, ability to spawn custom windows, access to plugin storage, more data types, plugin dependency system, ability to create behaviors for plugins)
    • Separation of the several "polygons" (i.e. collision polygon and shadow polygon), as well as ability to hook into them (i.e. get the normal, for "mirror" surfaces)
    • Object-specific event sheets (this might be confusing if implemented improperly though)
    • Sub-layouts, more than one level running at a time (i.e. splitscreen, options menu, mini-games)
    • Better interface creation options (Right now it's a big mess, custom controls are all over the place, making resizeable windows is hard. Hopefully modularity saves the day)
    • Collaboration/Simultaneous editing
    • In-editor macro/automation support

I suppose after we get modules, the editor itself will need some love, as well as the SDK.

With the store coming online soon, though, I expect modules to improve C2 by about 300%, especially if we can nest modules infinitely deep.

• Well don't I feel a fool

The best I could come up with after thinking about this earlier was built in Mode 7 support, but those ideas are great!

• Fimbul has very good points that I agree with. I would love the ability to fully create IDE windows to create all sorts of tools that Ashley won't. I would also love to be abel to create new objects into C2 base system. Currently it has Number, Text, bool, but I would also love to be able to embed others into the system. there really is a lot. I just personally feel Modularity and asset store the last major foundation elements C2 needs.

but anyways. there are good suggestions here including more enhancements to the IDE. and rho C2 already had large IDE imrovements a few months ago. But more is always welcome.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)